Window or toilet

Page 1 of 2
I have a problem, I have about 250 budgeted for repairs to my house this month and need to replace two things - both for the purposes of making my bills less. No, this isn't my homework and I'm not interested in intergroup warfare - I'm curious what you all think.
I have an opinion on the matter, but lack of experience tells me to get a second opinion.
So I have two things in mind, both approximately 200 bucks. I could replace my circa 1970's toilet with a nice new efficient 1.6gal flusher (fully glazed, 2 1/8" opening, made in the US) or I could replace the 96x48" window in my living room with an off the shelf Lowe's Pella to replace the single pane aluminum sliding window made in 1960 and leaking like the Titanic.
The way I figure it the toilet has a couple things going for it - it will reduce my water bill, improve the flushing performance, and it will reduce the load on my drain field (always a concern where 30 consecutive days of rain is not unheard of). The window has a few things going for it in that it will reduce the heat loss in the winter, it will allow me to open the windows in the summer and cool off the room, and it will improve the exterior look of the house.
Now I suspect I spend far far more in heating bills than water- in fact I know I do - about 20 bucks a month for water and about 200 bucks a month in the winter on heating. So the way I figure it, replace the window and save about 50 bucks a month in heating costs, assuming a very substantial improvement in heating costs and insulation (there's some rough calcs that I've already done to arrive at 50 bucks saving).
I don't know really. I kind of want to replace the toilet so that I can see how its done, but then I have 3 windows left to replace in the house, the big living room one, a bedroom window I can't get to easily, and a small basement window I don't really care about. The way I figure it, replace the windows and be done with that project for another 5 to 10 years.
Eigenvector wrote:

If the windows is leaking and it causes water damage? You can reduce water conumption on the toilet simply adjusting the flost or putting a brick(s) in the water tank. You said windows leaks like Titanic!

Definitely get a new window. No coin flip needed.

other time for #1, and you can match the savings from the first year of a low-flush. (I think one of the desert states had a poster a few years back- 'if it's brown, flush it down- if it's yellow, let it mellow'.)The window is a no-brainer- if you can see stubbed-out-cigar smoke moving on a breezy day, the payback for it will be less than a couple years on fuel bills.
aem sends....

Well I meant air, not water. If it was a matter of leaking water - this wouldn't even be a question. No there's a fair breeze through the window corners when it's cold outside.
As to a brick in the tank, I might just try that, although I wonder if it will reduce the flushing performance of the toilet? I'm looking at the toilet because even at the normal 3?? gal per flush it still requires a second on occasion. Totally unacceptable to me, it always gets the brown trouts down of course, its just the TP that stays in.
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:43:10 -0700, "Eigenvector"

Dude...... It's the middle of SUMMER. How the f**k can it be cold outside?
Get a window, and a closet auger. Ream out the drain in the toilet, and see if that helps.
The better window will help save on the HVAC bill, and may free up some money to buy a toilet later. I doubt the water savings will pay for a window.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Eigenvector wrote: ..

In most the brick will not save any water because under most conditions they don't empty that far. Then there s the problem that bricks don't like being in water an most will start to fall apart after a while.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:24:00 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"

I suppose you shouldn't use one of the cheap bricks that are always shedding. You get bits of clay everywhere.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I had a similar problem. I woke up one morning and I had to both Shit and Piss. Both were equally important but I only had one toilet. I had to pick and choose which one was more important and which one would save me the most money. I sat on the edge of my bed most of the day trying to decide which one to do, when suddenly someone knocked real loudly on my door and scared the shit out of me. There was shit all over my bed. I angerly went to the door and found it was a door to door salesman. That pissed me off so much that the urine ran down my legs.
The moral of this story is this: Toss a coin, and do one or the other, but do something or you'll end up shitting in your own bed or pissing down your legs while some door to door salesman walks away with your money.
Now get off the internet, find a penny and flip it........ Heads are for the toilet, tails are for the window.
--------
I am the Songer of Sings

There's your answer
wrote in message

that expecting massive benefits from a single window replacement is unreasonable, whereas with the toilet the benefits would be absolute simply because the design is different. But yes, at most I would save 10 bucks a month on my water bill, whereas if I shaved 50 bucks off my heating bill in the winter that's quite a chunk of change.
Eigenvector wrote:

This is a no brainer...replace that nasty, water wasting old john! And after you do, would you send the old one to me? Please?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I just replaced two toilets with American Standard Cadet 3 models. One was an ADA model, one standard height. They are rated for 1000g flushing performance and I believe it. The performance is terrific. The old toilets used 3.2 or 7+ gallons per flush and did not flush anywhere close to what these do. They are truly designed to both flush efficiently and save water, unlike many early models.
The combined cost of the toilets was around $300.
But I am expecting rebates from the city for up to $200.
My water consumption has dropped from a normal 7-11 hcf/mo to 5.3 hcf/mo.
I suggest you see if your city has a rebate program, then maybe you can afford BOTH the toilet and the window projects.

tax credit. The have to meet some certification level to qualify.

Do the window. The toilet is over rated.
You will only get by with the 1.6 when there are no solids in the bowl. You will use almost 3 gallons when you have a full load. Also your older pipes may not work properly with the reduced water flow.

Hadn't thought of it from those angles.

You can get an 8 foot by 4 foot double glazed Pella window for 200 bucks? Are you sure you're not missing a zero?
--
Dennis

Nope I'm not missing a zero, but I never mentioned double glazed. Just a cheap vinyl replacement $222 at Lowe's.
Eigenvector wrote:

And you think that's going to cut heat loss by $50 a month? Do the toilet. Or hang some drapes.
--

dadiOH