window crank ID?

My gf's house has a planter window -- sort of a bay window over the kitchen sink. It has an unusual crank ... and it's broken. Neither the local Ace nor either the blue or orange box carries anything that looks like it, nor does anyone in either place recognize it. We cannot find any identifying marks on the window itself. The window may not date from the original 1977 construction, but is probably from several owners back.

Picture of the crank at

shows the parts. The assembly is about 6-1/2" long (unbroken). The handle, at the right, is metal and has a set screw to hold the other part. The log screw is plastic. It should be -- was -- one part but broke at the top of the threads. Turning this assembly raises the panes at the top of the planter window.

Given the amount of stress placed on this piece, I'm sure no glue would hold. In fact, it seems pretty shortsighted to have used plastic instead of metal for this part to begin with.

Can anyone clue us in to who the manufacturer might be, or to a place which supplies a wide enough range of window replacement parts that they might know what it is? I looked around on swisco.com and did not see anything like it.

Thanks,

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

try a local window shop, in pittsburgh its pittsburgh window and door, extremely knowledgable...

it will be costly but you could get a machine shop to make a new one

Reply to
bob haller

Maybe a picture of the window?

Reply to
JAS

+1

That's where I'd try too. It's unbelievable that thing is made of plastic. That suggests it's some junko product. It's old and the company may no longer be in existence.

Reply to
trader_4

Blaine window

has a link on their website so you can send them a digital photo and they will try to identify the part.

Is another source. They have a lot more stuff than what is online, so you are best off sending them a photo as well.

Good luck!

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

No idea what manufacturer, but it is definitely a crappy design. Find a good machinist and have the screw copied in brass and to fit a standard window crank.

Reply to
clare

[...]

I would drill each broken part. Tap threads in them. Cut head off a bolt of same thread. Put a little JB Weld on the threads. Add some to the broken areas also. Thread them together. Let set overnight. Stronger than when new. WW

Reply to
WW

Thanks. I've sent inquiries with the photo to SWISCO, AMSCO, Blaine, and windowdoorparts.com. Will try a local store if I can find a reputable one. I'll try to get a picture of the window and post it. No question it's junk, but it's not worth replacing.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

All four said it's not available ... we did find it in the AMSCO full (PDF) catalog, part number 900-19756, "Elevating Screw Worm - Garden Window Hardware" ... with the notation "not available". Looks like our choices are 1) replace entire window (not gonna happen), 2) try salvage (as suggested here), 3) get a custom-made replacement (unlikely due to cost), 4) try to repair the part as suggested (we do have a drill press, but I don't really know how much chance we'd have of succeeding), 5) rig up a simpler method of elevating the window. Since we don't really need the infinite adjustment capability of the worm drive, #5 will probably be the winner.

Thanks for the ideas!

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

Edward Reid:

If your GF has these windows in her home, then someone was selling them in your area at one time, and there are undoubtedly other homes in your area that have the same style of window. That means the local window and glass repair shops have undoubtedly seen this kind of window before and would know something about them, even if they know that these windows are no longer made and parts are no longer available.

But, you need to show your photos to the people that work at the well established window and glass repair shops in your area, not to the guys working at Home Depot and/or Lowes.

Reply to
nestork