Window Air conditioner not working.

I have a 9100 btu window ac which does not cool. Air from the duct is room temp. I checked amps and watts using a Kill-a-watt meter. Specs say 7.3 amps and 880 watts. I measure 3.3 amps and 272 watts. I used the same meter on a 5600 btu ac that we have in another room. Its specs are 4.9 amps and 510 watts. I measure 4.4 amps and 495 watts. This implies the meter is ok. Does this low power draw in the 9100 btu unit indicate loss of freon (is the compressor maybe running but not compressing anything?)

I'd bet on your reading being the blower fan draw. The missing amps likely are the compressor motor. Dig around in the compressor control circuitry for a possible component problem. Good luck.
Joe

Could be start capacitor- I have an older one which did this last year, still sitting in my garage waiting for me to decide to fix or chuck...
If you can hear the compressor running, then your readings probably do indicate low on freon. Fan alone is probably 100 watts or so.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Sounds like the compressor is not running. You should be able to hear it kick in when you turn the control from "fan" to "cool".
It could be a variety of things. If the Freon leaked out, it probably has a safety to prevent it from starting. Could be the thermostat, the switch, could be a capacitor. If the thermostat is sticking, simply turning the know a couple of times may fix it. Anything else requires opening the unit and checking stuff with a meter.

buffalo ny: if replacing it, remember the unit was too small, it took too long to cool down the hot room upon arrival. upgrade to a bigger unit most with remote control and digital temperature, subject to window opening sizes, while air conditioners are still readily available in spring.
I failed to mention initially that I had also checked electric draw with the fan only. It was .81 amp and 90 watt so I think the compressor is running. We have decided since the unit is 8 years old to buy another one and I will store this one in my shop to play with later. You can pick up a 10000 btu Sunbeam at Circuit City for $180 or so but I may look for a more efficient and probably higher quality one.
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 09:21:38 -0400, George Becker wrote:

Good idea. Window air really isn't consumer serviceable if freon is low. You've got to sweat on valves usually just to get gauges on and some new freon with dye in it so you can find the leak. By that time you've surpassed what the unit is worth unless it's a really big 220 volt thru the wall job.
Sure sounds like low freon.
I've never seen a low pressure cut out for a window AC.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.