Window AC plug arcs when plugging in

Window unit started triping inline-breaker even when unit was turned off. Bypassed inline and unit works fine, except for a strong arc when pluging in this 220 volt AC. Now compressor cycles, etc. however the arc-ing persists when plugging in the AC, also a little beep ocurs, and again the unit is turned off during these checks.

The arc is like that of a cap discharging?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Devinet

The compressor motor is locked(not turning).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

How big are the breakers (inline and the circuit's breaker)?

Explain. Persists?

Do you know if the unit beeped before?

Probably "normal". These will draw a *lot* of current when switched on. Using the plug to turn them on isn't the best idea.

If it's drawing more current (the inline breaker is smaller than the circuit's breaker) it might be low on freon or the starting capacitor might be going bad. There are things called "hard start kits" that might work but I'd have the freon level checked. It might have a leak.

Reply to
krw

I read your text, twice. Nothing comes to mind, as what the problem might be. What do you mean, when you write "inline breaker"?

.

Window unit started triping inline-breaker even when unit was turned off. Bypassed inline and unit works fine, except for a strong arc when pluging in this 220 volt AC. Now compressor cycles, etc. however the arc-ing persists when plugging in the AC, also a little beep ocurs, and again the unit is turned off during these checks.

The arc is like that of a cap discharging?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Would that trip a breaker, "even if the unit is turned off"? Doesn't sound like it, to me.

.

The compressor motor is locked(not turning).

Paul

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There has to be a short in the AC. Take it to an AC repair shop, or buy a new one.

Reply to
homeowner

If it is just a small spark it's possible the unit has a transformer that draws power all the time - and a low voltage control system. In this case, there MAY be nothing wrong. The "beep: makes me think this is very likely.

Reply to
clare

*The device on the plug of the air conditioner is an arc fault breaker. If it is tripping, there is a problem with the air conditioner. Arc fault breakers are designed to prevent fires. You should not be getting any arcing with the unit turned off while plugging it in. You should not have removed the arc fault protection. You should have had the unit serviced instead.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Per his post, his problems are occuring when he plugs it in, even with the AC turned off. Plugging an AC in, turned off should not be tripping a breaker or producing an arc.

Above has nothing to do with what he's asking about because again the problem occurs with the AC off. Something is very wrong with that AC, eg a breakdown of insulation in the cable, and it should not be used. Since he apparently does not have the skills to fix it, time to scrap it and get another one. A new one can be had for as little as $100.

Reply to
trader4

It's not just a small arc. It's tripping the figging breaker even when it's turned off.

Reply to
trader4

Do they have arc faults on AC units now? I didn't know that. Are they required? Interesting. It certainly would explain the behavior.

As for having it serviced, unless it's under warranty, I'd suggest the scrap heap instead. You can get a window unit AC for as little as $100 these days.

Reply to
trader4

Do they have arc faults on AC units now? I didn't know that. Are they required? Interesting. It certainly would explain the behavior.

As for having it serviced, unless it's under warranty, I'd suggest the scrap heap instead. You can get a window unit AC for as little as $100 these days.

*Article 440.65 in the National Electrical Code requires that cord and plug connected air conditioners have a factory installed arc fault circuit interrupter or leakage current detector interruptor as part of the plug or within 12" of the plug.

I am wondering if the OP's air conditioner is a shock hazard now that the protection has been removed.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Thanks for the info.

I guess that depends on what he did or didn't do with the ground and if there is a ground at the outlet. But, from what he's given so far, I'd just get a new AC.

Reply to
trader4

Would it be ok if he dumps the old one on your front yard?

Reply to
croy

Or possibly with the arc fault protector (and in some cases it is NOT an arc fault, but simply a ground fault circuit interrupter.

Reply to
clare

To Stormin Morman and tra...@optonline:

"inline" breakers have been federally mandated since the early 1990s - starting with hairdryers.

Where've you folks been??

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I thought they were GFCI plugs? I've been visiting my friends at the cryogenic lab, they have been keeping me in suspense. They say they will let me know when I'm getting warm.

.

"inline" breakers have been federally mandated since the early 1990s - starting with hairdryers.

Where've you folks been??

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I did a web search on "appliance inline breakers" and got nothing that looked related. Please send me a URL, I'm curious what I'm missing. Must be something.

.

"inline" breakers have been federally mandated since the early 1990s - starting with hairdryers.

Where've you folks been??

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You've never seen a hair dryer or window AC with a GFCI plug on the cord? Where *have* you been?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've seen GFCI plugs. Now, send me a URL to "appliance inline breakers" which I've not seen.

.