Win 7 file save question

I see a lot of posts here whom know more than me so here it comes...

I am d/l some files and when I rt click to save as it only comes up as:

myfileyouarentgetting.jpg

I presently copy the shortcut which results:

I paste the shortcut into the save as dropdrown, but since it has slashs in it and some other illegal safarcus I have to manually parse the file name so it reads: Thisistheone.jpg

Anybody got any thoughts? It gets tiring after about 5 files like this and I don't have any hair to pull out.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Microsoft can tell you which symbols are legit for file names. Do a search for valid symbols for Windows file names.

Reply to
Roy

Go here for guidance as to was is not allowed in file names.

=====

Reply to
Roy

You answered your own question...

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I don't understand the problem. You say it initially comes up as wanting to save the file with this name:

myfileyouarentgetting.jpg

Can't you just use the "save as" which AFAIK is always available to save it anywhere you want, with any permissible Windows filename?

Reply to
trader_4

I always give files my own names. Just do SAVE AS, and type in a filename of your choice. Years ago, if I saved a picture, it would be something like "dog21.jpg" Now that same picture is somthing like "jl820pkwwnmgk9bo4r99hageswa202kas1atvcelpp12v902wkz34y1.jpg" You only have so many characters, before you go beyond the limit in Windows, and that includes the folder names. Not only that, but a long meaningless filename like that means nothing, and later on I'll wonder what it is. But Dog21.jpg tells me it's a picture of a dog, and the name is not going to overload my file length.

I also hate filenames that have "%20" in them. I rename those.

If saving a website, always be careful the name of the website is not going to exceed file lengths too. I have had that happen, and I had a hell of a time getting rid of it. I would cause Defrag. Scandisk, etc to freeze up. I normally had to boot with a DOS floppy and manually delete that HTML file and it's associated folder with the pictures and stuff.

There is no reason a saved website needs to be called football.broncos.nfl.2014.finals-www.wikipedia.com.my.source.for.everything.on.earth-and-beyond.html Shorten it to something like: football.broncos.nfl.2014.html

Reply to
Paintedcow

The way I see it: The problem is that you are saving the shortcut, you need to save the file itself.

Reply to
philo

As noted in the post I already know that slashs are not allowed in file names.

Reply to
Tekkie?

I understand all this. It is very labor intensive to rename all the files. I have over 250 to do and they are linked in another files from the site.

Reply to
Tekkie?

Tony, I think you are right. It is just labor intensive...

Reply to
Tekkie?

Save the file under it's name which is contained in the shortcut. I have to remove all the crap from the shortcut to get the name of the file.

If I just try to save it under the filename the site gives me the same filename for every file. So consequently I have to copy the shortcut link and then paste it in the save file box after removing all the crap.

Reply to
Tekkie?

See my reply to Oren.

No I cannot because I either get the same file name for every file or have to parse the crap out of the shortcut link to paste in the file name.

Reply to
Tekkie?

I can only get the filename from the shortcut after parsing the junk out of it. If I try to save it under the file name it only comes up as an identical filename for ALL files.

I have concluded there is no way around it and it is a fault of the site design.

Reply to
Tekkie?

or if have the location and directory access, just ftp 'em...

Reply to
dpb

dpb posted for all of us...

This looks promising but more work in the end. Thanks for the info!

Nope, good idea.

Reply to
Tekkie®