Win 7 file save question

I see a lot of posts here whom know more than me so here it comes...
I am d/l some files and when I rt click to save as it only comes up as:
myfileyouarentgetting.jpg
I presently copy the shortcut which results:
http://www1.Isharefiles.com/members/files/Thisistheone/lucky.you.jpg
I paste the shortcut into the save as dropdrown, but since it has slashs in it and some other illegal safarcus I have to manually parse the file name so it reads: Thisistheone.jpg
Anybody got any thoughts? It gets tiring after about 5 files like this and I don't have any hair to pull out.
--
Tekkie

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 3:02:22 PM UTC-7, Tekkie® wrote:

in

so

d I

Microsoft can tell you which symbols are legit for file names. Do a search for valid symbols for Windows file names.
On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 3:02:22 PM UTC-7, Tekkie® wrote:

in

so

d I

Go here for guidance as to was is not allowed in file names.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename
====

I always give files my own names. Just do SAVE AS, and type in a filename of your choice. Years ago, if I saved a picture, it would be something like "dog21.jpg" Now that same picture is somthing like "jl820pkwwnmgk9bo4r99hageswa202kas1atvcelpp12v902wkz34y1.jpg" You only have so many characters, before you go beyond the limit in Windows, and that includes the folder names. Not only that, but a long meaningless filename like that means nothing, and later on I'll wonder what it is. But Dog21.jpg tells me it's a picture of a dog, and the name is not going to overload my file length.
I also hate filenames that have "%20" in them. I rename those.
If saving a website, always be careful the name of the website is not going to exceed file lengths too. I have had that happen, and I had a hell of a time getting rid of it. I would cause Defrag. Scandisk, etc to freeze up. I normally had to boot with a DOS floppy and manually delete that HTML file and it's associated folder with the pictures and stuff.
There is no reason a saved website needs to be called football.broncos.nfl.2014.finals-www.wikipedia.com.my.source.for.everything.on.earth-and-beyond.html Shorten it to something like: football.broncos.nfl.2014.html
I understand all this. It is very labor intensive to rename all the files. I have over 250 to do and they are linked in another files from the site.
As noted in the post I already know that slashs are not allowed in file names.
Tekkie® wrote:

You answered your own question...
Tony, I think you are right. It is just labor intensive...
On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 5:02:22 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:

in

so

d I

I don't understand the problem. You say it initially comes up as wanting to save the file with this name:
myfileyouarentgetting.jpg
Can't you just use the "save as" which AFAIK is always available to save it anywhere you want, with any permissible Windows filename?
See my reply to Oren.
No I cannot because I either get the same file name for every file or have to parse the crap out of the shortcut link to paste in the file name.
On 02/06/2016 04:02 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

The way I see it: The problem is that you are saving the shortcut, you need to save the file itself.
I can only get the filename from the shortcut after parsing the junk out of it. If I try to save it under the file name it only comes up as an identical filename for ALL files.
I have concluded there is no way around it and it is a fault of the site design.
Save the file under it's name which is contained in the shortcut. I have to remove all the crap from the shortcut to get the name of the file.
If I just try to save it under the filename the site gives me the same filename for every file. So consequently I have to copy the shortcut link and then paste it in the save file box after removing all the crap.
On 02/06/2016 4:02 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

or if have the location and directory access, just ftp 'em...
dpb posted for all of us...

s in

me so

and I

This looks promising but more work in the end. Thanks for the info!

Nope, good idea.
--
Tekkie