Will Liquid Nails bleed through composite marble window sills?

The guy at Home Depot said that if I use Liquid Nails to adhere my window sills - which he said are some kind of composite marble, not true marble - directly to the exposed wood frame of the window, over time it will bleed through and become visible in the shape that it's applied. His assertion was that I should nail lathe to the frame and use thinset for the sills.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Doc

I have no idea about your liquid nails and composite marble. We have marble sills with, perhaps, a half-inch overhang. Appears all that holds them in place is the trim strip down each side of the window frame and caulk around the edge of the sill. Very secure, whatever the method.

Reply to
Norminn

Sounds like a fantasy story IMO. Liquid Nails won't bleed through a

1/8" piece of fiberboard. so how could it show up in a cured resin matrix of faux marble? By the way. why would you want to nail a machine tool to your window sill (the lathe)? Most people would use a wood strip called a lath.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Yes, I have thoughts. Stay away from Home Depot.

I'd use polyurethane construction adhesive. Tough stuff.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not exactly the same, but...

Our kitchen countertops have a fake (cast plastic) limestone "cap" around the edges, which I originally adhered with thin-set. After several of them fell off, I asked the pros at a local tile shop what they would use, and it turned out to be high strength construction adhesive.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

I find that an interesting thought. How come? What are good alternatives?

Reply to
glen stark

Your local lumber yard, hardware stores, appliance dealers, etc. Home Depot has 500,000 items, but never what you really want. They carry a lot of mediocre brands and products. You can often beat their prices too.

The big box stores give the impression they have well trained and knowledgeable staff, but in fact, most are not.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've never heard of this but am by no means an expert on construction issues and know enough to know there's a lot I don't know on the subject. That's why I'm tapping into the collected wisdom of folks here. :-)

Are you kidding? It's all the rage. Just last week Martha Stewart had a segment on how a milling machine attached to your living room window adds that perfect homey touch.

Reply to
Doc

It doesn't appear to me that it would be necessary to be too concerned with securing them, they're basically there for appearance and don't bear any weight other than their own.

Reply to
Doc

I use clear silicone and Goop for everything. Never had a failure or bleedthru yet.

Reply to
Duff

Doc wrote on 07 Apr 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

I suppose it's possible. Pick one of the adhesives that says it's for marble and solid surfaces.

Reply to
Steve

Goop is a hand cleaner!

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

I think he meant one or the other - if it isn't a clear silicone job, it must be a goop job. I use clear silicone for everything, but have never tried goop. Favorite tool is razor-blade scraper....takes off clear silicone, burn on grease, old tape residue, etc. Mebbe I should try goop? :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Those were trick questions ;)

Reply to
Oren

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

Excellent advice Ed.

I do not shop Lowes or HD, even though both of them are within a couple of miles from me.

Reply to
Conner

Yes, the hand cleaner is nice, but the adhesive is better:

Duff

Plus you can get some work done while your wife makes you visit with guests.

Reply to
mm