Will I die doing this?

Page 2 of 3

Still too much.
I thought the ring current was 105 VAC?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

You're both right. 48V DC is the loop voltage when the phone is on hook. Pulled offhook this drops to under 10V. Ringdown voltage is 90V superimposed on that 48VDC so you've got peaks of 138V.
Traditional phone near bathtub = bad idea.
Ventricular fibrillation of the human heart only takes a macroshock of 100 to 300 millamps. While human skin dry is normally around a megaohm, wet skin can make ya under 1kohm in impedance. V=IR and all, 138V / 1000 ohms = .138A = 138mA if your phone slips into the tub and someone decides to give you a ring.
Not really in the engineering tolerance you wanna be to stay alive, particularly with how wildly variable the resistance estimate can be, and the variability of what level of macroshock is needed to cause the heart muscle to fibrillate.
Throw $15 at a cordless phone. :-)
Best Regards, -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /

Doesn't it vary from one city to another?

Here the line has 50VDC when not in use. When ringing it has both 50VDC and 75VAC on it (alternating between -25V and +125V, I think at 20Hz). Ringing current capability is significant, since it's intended to ring 5 loud bells.

Mark Lloyd

I don't see how it could, otherwise your phone wouldn't necessarily work from one location to another.

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:29:06 -0800, "Eigenvector"

Dont they sell computer power supplies now that will work at any voltage from 80 to 240?

Irrelevent.

Only slightly.
You would do well to avoid the practice during a severe thunderstorm.
--
:)
JR

Mean Evil Bell System

Very bad idea. Ringdown voltage is near or exceeding wall outlet voltage. Granted, current capability is lower, but it's enough.... and the the human body's resistance while soaking in water is quite low.
Cordless phones are cheap. You need one if you wanna chat in the bath.
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net /

I have a phone jack next to my bathtub. I only plug in a handset (which has to be rewired iirc to use it this way, and it worked better when I put on a wider plug than handsets have). I don't place calls because there is no dial, and I answer the phone between rings. I also don't let the phone get wet, and if my hand is wet, I think I wipe it off with a towel.
I also do the same thing before I adjust the volume on the tv. The tv has a sound output, and I have a cord coming out of the wall behind the tv, speakers from a 1950's Hi-Fi on the ceiling, and a volume control next to my shoulder on the bathroom wall. That way I can turn the volume down when I'm on the phone. I also tied a washcloth (and later I changed it to a sock) so the water doesn't make much noise when it runs into the tub. That way I can also keep a trickle of warm water coming in so the bath doesn 't get cold.

Hire a professional to make your phone calls for you. You are not qualified to use a phone.

I forgot to say that I don't have any children who need me to pay their expenses, nor a wife in those circumstances.
Why not buy a cordless phone? They are totally safe, even in the bath.
061211 2008 - Jim posted:

Just do it till you need glasses...

hahahahaha...okay...thanks for the posts...I'm gonna go buy a cordless... have a Merry Christmass Group!...Jimi

Do they still make the cord types? I think I have a couple of old ones in the garage...............
STeve
Steve B wrote:

They're nice to have if (like me) you occasionally have to attend long-distance training courses and are on a conference call for 7 hrs straight.
Or during a power outage. (I know they make cordless phones with a second battery in the base for just this scenario, but they aren't very common.)
Chris
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:46:09 -0600, Chris Friesen

There are multi-handset cordless phones. Some make it as easy to change between handsets as with different phones. You can change handsets when you get a low battery warning.

I have mine plugged into a UPS (the same UPS that's connected to some of my A/V and network equipment). Runtime is limited, but at least it gives you plenty of time to get to a corded phone.

Mark Lloyd

Oh yes, still made, and rather handy to have one around the house when the power goes out and you need to call and report the outage. :-)
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net /
Just so y'all know, if you call me it better be because you need an organ donor because you had a pneumatic nailer mishap or someone in my family died.... and you'd better not ever, under any circumstances, call me from a hot tub.
I suggest you buy the manliest looking phone you can find...that way if you do drop the beast into the tub, the newspaper article will at least say you died at the hands of a red sox phone.
Go Sox!