Why use a level when building something?

Page 2 of 2

Yeah, that was obvious. Since I've broken bubbles on levels before, I thought he was leveling something in a hazardous zone.

That's pretty cool. Another $25 to spend. Thanks )-:

I'll bet Harbor Freight's got one.
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖

re: "How does one "use up" the bubbles?"
If you hold a level vertical for too long, the bubbles used for leveling go up into the wood never to be seen again.
If you hold it horizontal for too long, the bubbles used to check for plumb go away.
It's best to store your levels at a 45 degree angle for maximum bubble life.
BTW...They last a little longer in aluminum and plastic levels because the material is denser.
(Eventually I'll start adding smiley faces to these posts.)
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 18:55:56 -0400, "Robert Green"

The bubbles wear out from use.... :)
Add pictures here
✖

DerbyDad is the king of obtuse humor, as in "Metal Yard Shed" somehow meaning a shed for a metal yard. Now the Thermos joke *was* really funny but my feeling is that if you have to explain a joke to more than one person, you should drop it from your stand-up comedy act. No offense Derby, but obtuse humor often creates ill will when it's misinterpreted. The first exchange we had way back when was a case in point. You were making a joke and I thought you were being insulting.
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖
<stuff snipped>

Your basic premise is wrong to begin with. Levels do not work 'based on the ground, earth's positon, etc." It works on gravity which is permanently fixed to the center of mass of whatever planet, star, moon, etc. you are on.
Try again but get an education first.
Harry K ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You're correct. His basic premise is VERY wrong. The solar system is definitely NOT level:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecliptic
Scroll down to inclination where it shows how far off the planets are from ecliptic and from the equator of the sun. Of the eight planets, the orbital plane of Mercury has the greatest difference from Earth's at 7° orbital inclination. Pluto was the previous record-holder until it was deposed as a planet during a recent coup. (-:
The OP should appreciate having a level floor when he next loses his marbles - that way they'll stay in the pretty much the same place.
You're right about gravity. It's a pretty good basis for determing levels. What amazes me is that even though the Greeks clearly knew about levels and how to use them, they built "to eye" in the sense that "level and square" often don't look proportionally correct because of perspective effects.
To counter that effect the Greek builders created optical illusions to make the buildings appear perfect. If steps are built perfectly flat or horizontal, they will seem to sag in the middle. Every horizontal line in Grecian temples therefore curves slightly upwards. If columns are built straight up and down, they will appear to lean outwards. The ancient Greeks built vertical lines to lean towards the middle.
They were quite familar with plumb bobs, ancient ones have been discovered in the rubble of temples that collapsed from earthquakes during construction. They used them, however, to deliberately and precisely build "out of plumb" so that it would look perfectly rectangular from a distance. Quite an idea using levels to deliberately build out of plumb buildings that looked perfect but were far from it, anglewise.
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 03:42:12 -0500, JoseGomez wrote:

And why make it level anyway? Trees aren't level. Nothing wrong with a crooked house or garage. Nothing 'NEEDS' to be level.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@dotcom.com wrote:

please don't feed the trolls...
Add pictures here
✖

How futile a battle is that? (-: This is like a troll-based food court at a huge shopping mall. At least this is a repair related troll and not a Farsi travel ad. Most of the others involve bodily functions, politics and really bad humor. I've set my "mark as read" time for just long enough to insure I read each message long enough to be sure that it's a trolling and move on.
Doesn't hurt to remind people, I guess.
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 13, 4:42 am, snipped-for-privacy@dotcom.com wrote:

The problem is that you never know in which direction your structure will sag, so you make it as level as possible to minimize the eventual impact, whichever way it goes.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@dotcom.com writes:

I score it 3 out of 10.
On this board you might even get a few on your side.
As to using sight vs. a level, you're using the level wrong. You can do pretty well by sight, but a level should increase your accuracy.
For a fun experiment for the gullible, put your level on a flat surface and come back in an hour and watch that bubble move all over the place.
Now sober up and try again.
:)
--
Dan Espen

Add pictures here
✖

✖
On Jun 13, 3:22 pm, Fat-Dumb and Happy

From that site:
"This gives the bricklayer a perfect, taut, vertical string to guarantee that the wall of bricks will be all the same distance from the string and hence be vertically straight."
Actually, this gives the bricklayer a perfect, taut, vertical string to use as a reference when laying his brick. The string itself will not "guarantee" anything. The distance and straightness is based on the skill of the mason.
Add pictures here
✖

Mexican, huh?
Add pictures here