Why no overflow in kitchen sink??

My daughter asked me why is there an overflow in the bath tub and the bathroom sink, but none in the kitchen sink. I couldn't answer her, and could not Google an answer. So, I pose the question to the group.

Reply to
TomKan

For bathtubs its obvious as people turn water on and walk away. As for bathroom sinks and not kitchen I don't know but its done this way as far as I could remember. Now the new style bathroom sink, a glass bow above the counter top has no overflows either as far as I can tell.

Reply to
Fred

-------- That makes perfect sense.

Reply to
Abe

If it's a double kitchen sink, note that the sinks divider is lower than the rim so any overflow of one sink would go to the other sink and, hopefully, down it's drain. Steve southiowa

Reply to
Steve IA

The usual answers are that the material (food particles and such) from a typical kitchen sink would clog the overflow much more quickly and then would also result in a bacteria breeding ground. Thus no overflow drain in a kitchen sink. I did once see this huge commercial stainless steel monster that had a pan where the drain rack sat and it had a second drain.

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

I just installed a new bathroom double sink and they did not have an overflow. My guess is that the bathtub takes so long to fill that most people will not be in the room all the time it is filling and stands a much beter chance of over flowing. Also when you get in the tub the water rises alot., well it does for me :-)

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Reply to
Beeper

Have you ever cleaned a bathroom sink? I don't want the crap that came out of the overflow anywhere near my food. I would suggest sanitary considerations are at the top of the list.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

The judges rates Larry's answer: 9.6 9.5 9.8 9.9 9.7

Well said, Gideon ======================

Larry Caldwell wrote Have you ever cleaned a bathroom sink? I don't want the crap that came out of the overflow anywhere near my food. I would suggest sanitary considerations are at the top of the list.

Reply to
Gideon

i wish there was too. my BH left the kitchen tap running one day. ruined the kitchen floor and the ceiling below. costly. ....thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto