Why is this?

This isn't a troll question, it's a serious question, but might be a bit sensitive for some.
I always thought water blocked gas smells. I thought this is why traps are put in place, in a drain system.
Well, the other night I was taking a bath. I farted, I know you can expect noise, and bubbles. But, oh my, the smell about killed me.
Can someone explain why water doesn't block the smell, while in a tub?
why didnt you pop the bubbles with your nose ??????
TROLL BAIT ,
who's gonna bite ?

[sensitive for some.
on 10/6/2007 1:32 PM The Freon Cowboy said the following:

You did!

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The gas bubbles came up through the water to your nose. In a house the rising gas is blocked by the water in the traps, and rises up the vent pipe going through the roof. The path of least resistance.

You need to shove a hose up your ass and vent it to the window.

Ed, have you noticed how many Trolls have never progressed past third grade toilet humor ?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Could be a troll but who cares.

There's a difference between blocking the movement of gas vs. doing something to absorb or counteract it. Water in a drain trap simply blocks sewer gas from coming up into your house and instead it goes up through the vent stack to the roof. If you fart in the tub the gas just comes up as bubbles.
Thurman H. wrote:

Saw your post at about the time you posted, wondered who would bite! You sure caught a few fish tonight, (including me!). ;)
Women, fortunately, do not have this problem. Have you not noticed that women don't fart? < < < < < < < < << Their mouths are open so much of the time, they never build up pressure.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Put your head underwater when you fart. Estimate dissipation time in room. Don't come up until then.

It is a matter of simple physics. The solution is simple:
Gas rises, your nose is higher than your exhaust. Invert the position and no smelly.
Harry K