Why does the 115V->24V transformer keep blowing on my Trane XB80?

Whatever you use must be "Class 2". That means there is not enough power available on the secondary to cause a fire. Using a class 2 transformer allows using light weight thermostat wire instead of power wiring.

Class 2 heating system transformers can be easily installed to be safe, with primary wiring not exposed - may or may not be true of the transformers above.

Modifying a class 2 transformer by replacing internal fuses with external fuses makes the source not class 2. If you knew what you were doing you could probably protect the secondary with a fuse. I wouldn't.

I agree with looking at the secondary current.

Reply to
bud--

TWO is (probably) a coincidence; THREE would be a trend.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've heard that in music, if you make a single mistake, it's just a mistake. Make the same mistake twice, and it's jazz.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

If the transformer has any bare metal, keep in mind that IR thermometers usually do not get good readings on bare metal. Stick on a 3/4 inch square of masking tape.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

In article , bud-- wrote in small part:

Preferably with a "true RMS" meter.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Frequently as accessories are added the VA value of the transformer can be exceeded, or run at the top end for too long. Next time you replace the tra nsformer increase the VA rating by 25VA. If it is a 50 VA go to 75VA.

When you turn the unit on, measure the voltage across the transformer. it s hould be above 20VAC when the unit is on and fully loaded. If it is not is in an indicator that there is a partial short in the 24VAC system. This can be traced down by eliminating some of the 24Volt accessories until the vol tage returns above 20VAC.

Reply to
runsailbike

Next tme you reply to a post, check the date.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

replying to Steve Turner, YosemiteDave wrote: Check the contactor in the outside unit. These short out on the 24 volt side and taking out the transformer. But if the fan board on a XB80, the fuse should have blown if that was it. But older ones did not have a fuse, I think. If the fuse didn't blow, I'd say ya just got another bad transformer.

Reply to
YosemiteDave

Reply to
aliheidaridds

Check the control wire (low Voltage) connected to AC outside possible damage to wire by rodents.

Reply to
aliheidaridds