Why does my snow blower not shear the shear bolts?

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:03:17 -0800 (PST), poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I don't see how a bent shear will shred a belt. Are you sure; 1. the bent bolt is a shear bolt? 2. by being bent it is causing more work for the belt.
What make/model snowblower is it?
And for all you ever wanted to know about snowblowers- try http://opeonthenet.com /
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

The bent bolt is a shear bolt. It has two notches in it with a lock nut holding it in place.
This is an Ariens snowblower. I believe it's a 926103 off the top of my head (they have multiple model names and numbers, it's a DLX model.) This one has the hand warmers, the remote lever for the wheel lock, etc. How will a shear bolt shred a belt? The auger has stopped and can't move because of the newspaper but the but the belt is still turning because I have not realized it yet and I am still holding the auger lever down. The belt heats up and starts to smoke (you can see the smoke coming out from the frame.) At that point it's pretty much toast. It only takes a few seconds for it be shot.
Add pictures here
✖
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

-snip-
I guess it is just semantics- but I thought in your first post you were saying the bolt got bent but you continued to use the machine and it burnt belts up faster. Your second post made it clear.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

Okay, I just pulled out the manual. It's a 926103 aka ST1332LE with a "SHEAR BOLT KIT" part number 51001500.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 30, 7:03 pm, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you think there might be a paper under snow you should not let that happen and set the hight high. I would not run any machine where I thought I might hit something.
Add pictures here
✖

Yeah, famous last words. There was four inches of snow and I thought I would have seen it sticking out of the snow. Oh well, live and learn.
Add pictures here
✖
I tend to agree with the other posters, either the paper is taking up too much of the impact or they are not shear pins but bolts which are not desinged to break when too much stress is applied.
When you ran over the brick, did the same thing occur? If so I doubt a brick will absorb much of an impact so then the sheer pins are really bolts.
--

John

Add pictures here
✖

lol the guy that ran over the brick is not the op.
Mark
Add pictures here
✖

Ran over a dog chain with the blower a few years ago and the shear pin on one side broke. Hit a newspaper last year and the machine locked up and the engine killed. Shear pin(s) stayed intact. No damage to the engine either time.
Add pictures here
✖