Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

Page 4 of 5

There are at leat 3 metric "standards" and each uses a few different sized bolts, and different head sizes You have the German DIN system, the Japanese SI and the American ANSI/ASME
The SI is actually common pretty much world wide except America and Germany - there are exceptions.
Depending on the market you may get 10mm and not 11, you may or may not get either 12 or 13mm, and 17 or 18mm - and some get 15, others do not.
I've worked on vehicles using every one of them (not all on the same vehicle) - I'd have been totally lost without a minimum of 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18. 19, and 21 mm On Toyotas the 11 and 13 and 18 were not required - on American iron the 10 and 12 are pretty much redundant - along with the 17, I believe.
Add pictures here
βœ–

If a nut is so rusty you can't get the correct wrench to fit, it's probably time to take other measures. Wire brush the rust, apply penetrating oil, maybe apply heat, use vice grips, etc.

On Volkswagens, the most used wrench sizes are 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 17mm, and 19mm.
However, brake bleeders require a 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, or 10mm wrench, depending on the brand and location of the bleeder.
I also need an 11mm wrench to remove my carburetor cover.
I think the front strut nuts need a 22mm wrench.
12mm, 14mm, and 18mm are probably the sizes I use the least, but occasionally I'll run across a fastener than needs those too.
βœ–
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 04:09:07 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

You never mentioned the 16mm. My set lacked that one, and I have needed that one numerous times. I found a few others that were missing. One day I just bought all the individual wrench sizes that my set lacked, and made a complete set. I did that for my box wrenches, sockets and nut drivers. I dont think I've ever found a complete metric set in the stores.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Oops, yep, I guess I forgot the 16mm. I don't have a wrench that size, and apparently have never encountered a nut or bolt that needed it.

I have a full set ranging from 7mm through 15mm. Then I have 17mm, 19mm, and 22mm. That seeems to cover everything I work on.
I also inherited a small collection of imperial wrench sizes from my step dad (maybe 5-7 wrenches total). I don't use those much, but every now and then they come in handy.
My 6-sided sockets are more complete, running from 4mm all the way up to 30mm for my axle nut.
I bought wrenches and sockets over time as I needed them. So the collection I have seems to accomodate everything I'm working on, and I didn't spend money on sizes I never use.
βœ–

The stores all carry Asian junk. Even NAPA. Online is a different matter:
****OR****
http://tinyurl.com/hoxcteb
My first metric socket set was an S-K set (45+ yrs ago). I don't recall any missing sizes.
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/13/2016 8:14 AM, notbob wrote:

But do you recall there NOT being any missing sizes? Where were you on the night of June 17, 1965?
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's funny, my first metric socket set was S-K brand too. They were the first tools I bought when I started driving. I think I may still have one or two of those sockets left. They were fairly good quality compared to the cheap bargain store sockets my step-dad always bought.
Most of my hand tools now are Craftsman's that I've had for 30 years or more.
βœ–

If yer Craftsman tools are really 30 yrs old, they are probably better than what Sears is offering, today. Most Craftsman tools --not all-- are currently made in China. This unlike S-K Tools, which are still made in the USA. ;)
http://www.skhandtool.com/carousel/made-in-usa.aspx
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yep, I bought most of my hand tools in my late teens and early 20's after I first started driving. I'll turn 53 in a few months. :)

I occasionally still buy a Craftsman wrench or screwdriver if I'm missing a size or something, but that's fairly rare. I haven't noticed any major difference in quality though, compared to my older hand tools.

I haven't seen S-K tools in my area for a long time. I didn't know they were still being made.
Actually, I bought a few "Husky" brand hand tools at Home Depot to keep in the car recently. I'm sure they're made in China (everything is) but they seemed to be decent quality.
I remember the cheap sockets my step-dad used to buy. The chrome was peeling off, and they would either strip out inside or just crack in half when you put any pressure on them. I quickly learned to buy my own tools and not borrow his. :)
βœ–
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 10:27:53 AM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:

My 1st set of sockets (SAE) and ratchet was "Husky"...got it with S&H green stamps! That was 50 yrs ago when they were made here...I still use them!
Add pictures here
βœ–

They are currently under the Ideal Tools brand and are sold to any high-end mfrg company that may still be in existence and/or can afford to pay "tool reps". I recall my company's relation with Ideal Tools. Hot, cute, tool reps to sell you tools at insanely high prices, less than ethical shipping practices, after you've ordered.

I'm not a China hater. I figure China is to mfrg, now, what USA was, back in the 50s-60s. They will provide the quality they are paid to provide. No more, no less. At least Husky has the "Forever Guarantee".

Being retired, I don't hafta worry about tool quality as much as when I was a pro. This is fortunate, as the tools now available are crap, compared to 30-40 yrs ago. OTOH, I recently bought some Craftsman SAE combo wrenches. I held out until the "Made in USA" wrenches were on sale. Yes! Sears offers both domestic and foreign made tools under the Craftman name. Yer choice. I don't wanna guess "where" in the the USA these tools were made. Hopefully, not on Guam.
BTW, my chrome S-K sockets never lost their chrome plating, even when I used 'em on air impact tools. Too bad they were stolen. :(
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 11:15:44 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

I have a set of S-K long box wrenches (at least 60 yrs old, from a neighbor lady)...they still look like stainless steel!
Add pictures here
βœ–

There are still decent quality tools available - comparable to the Craftsman tools of the late 60s - and the surprizing thing is they don't cost much more than the Craftsman tools did back in the time.
I have well over $20,000 invested in mechanics hand tools - many purchaced when I was making significantly under $5 an hour.
I could replace virtually all of them for under $8000 today - with equivalent or better quality and warrantee. (and I earn a lot more than $5 an hour today!!!) Back then I could by a nice new mustang for under $3000 0 making that $20000 more like 200000 today!!!
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you know anyone who has recently had a baby, look closely between their butt cheeks for a "Made in China" label. 93.7% of all babies made since 2005 are now made in China.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 1:43:15 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Maybe the Mormon isn't dead? No...even he was funnier!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/14/2016 10:39 AM, notbob wrote:

Mine are 50 years old and yes, better than the new stuff.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 04:58:14 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

Back in the 60s and 70s SK was as good a tool as anything on the market.. I've had most of my Craftsman tools since 1969 - along with most of my SK and Herbrand.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 11:36:37 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

What does "the 10 and 12 are pretty much redundant" mean?
How does "redundant" apply in that context?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/13/2016 7:53 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm guessing he means "common".
I've often been able to use one of the standard sizes in place of the less common metric sizes such as 18mm. Otherwise, an adjustable wrench has saved me, though, in some tight spots, it's not always the answer. Overall, I nice ratchet/socket set with all sizes usually suffices.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/13/2016 9:15 AM, Meanie wrote:

I was guessing they are a close match to SAE sizes, although that took some guesswork. At first I thought he was saying 10 and 12 were about the same thing and could be used interchangeably, which makes no sense.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wrenches-inches-metric-us-conversion-comparison-d_1607.html
Add pictures here
βœ–