Why do people buy the pre-mixed anti-freee?

Page 1 of 3
I dont understand why people waste their money buying that pre-mixed anti-freeze. It's half water. Are people that lazy that they cant mix the water with the AF themselves? Here are some figures. A gallon of the pre-mixed stuff sells for around $8. A gallon of the pure AF is selling for about $11. So, for $8 you are getting a half gallon of AF (mixed with a half gallon of water), or for $11 you get a full gallon of pure AF. If your car requires 4 gallons in it's cooling system, you will spend $22 for the AF and add 2 gallons of tap water which costs pennies at most.
Or, you can buy 4 gallons of the pre-mixed stuff at a cost of $32. Thus, you save $10 mixing it yourself. I dont know about you, but $10 is a decent saving for doing nothing but filling those AF jugs from the tap and adding it to the radiator. The only thing is you got to run the engine for a few minutes to get the stuff mixed in the engine, which is no big deal if you pour it in right before a trip to town.
Yea, I've heard the stupid excuse that "I might not get an even 50-50% mix. Well, I;ve been adding AF to cars for 40 years and it's not a precise science. I'd rather have a little too much AF than not enough. Too much water will freeze. Pure AF is supposed to freeze, but I've never had a jug in the garage freeze solid on even the coldest winter days. If you need 4 gallons total, add 2 gallons of AF and you'll use most of the 2 gallons of water, and will end up with 50 to 60% AF, and that will work just fine.
Not only do you save money mixing your own, but think about all the extra plastic bottles that haveto be made, transported, and recycled, just to sell a half gallon of water. People who buy this pre-mixed stuff are not very intelligent if they cant figure this out....
The only winners are the companies that laugh on their way to the bank, for selling a half gallon of water for a hefty price.
On 12/5/2011 3:41 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Some people live in areas where the tap water may have minerals in it that may not be compatible with a vehicle cooling system. I don't have that problem where I live so I mix with tap water. You can also buy distilled water at most drug stores if you have hard water from your home's city or well water supply.
TDD
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 04:13:27 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I have a well, and there are minerals. Mostly calcium, which tends to build up in the toilet, causing me to use "The Works" to clean it every month or so. But how much calcium is really going to get in my engine from 2 gallons. I dont really worry about it. Not enough to cause any problems. For a battery, I do buy distilled water, but that's a lot more critical.
By the way, "The Works" is a great product. (No, I dont work for them). I used to spend an hour scrubbing that calcium in the toilet, now I just spray "The Works" and 10 minutes later I run the brush around the bowl a couple times and flush. Looks like a new toilet.... Sure makes that job easy.
On 12/5/2011 4:52 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I use The Works also to clean toilets and it is a very good product. I also know that adolescent mad scientists use it for mischief. When I come across a toilet that's dried up because it's been unused for a long time, I've used Sani-Flush Crystals to boil it out and clean it up so it sparkles. Another product "Vanish Crystals" is pretty much the same thing.
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

20% hydrogen chloride (hydrochloric acid)
Be careful.
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

At least around here if you are a true believer that big box is your friend you don't have a choice (I guess if they can get people to pay meat prices for water when they buy the adulterated "fresh" meat why not extend the feeling to other products?). They only stock the premixed for your convenience stuff. If you don't want to pay anti-freeze price for water you need to go to the local auto parts places.
On 12/5/2011 9:17 AM, George wrote:

I've only bought premix for convenience if I'm on the road working and have no time to mix a batch.
TDD
George wrote the following:

The next time you buy a gallon of orange juice, read the label. If it says reconstituted or made from concentrate, you paid for their water. Buy the frozen concentrate in the small can and reconstitute it yourself.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 03:41:34 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

You are very perceptive. People pay a lot of money for convenience. This is just an extension of the prepared foods sold at the grocery store.

Exactly - convenience I keep a gallon of thie premix for topping off occasionally - has lasted so far for several years and that even includes a boil over on ht etruck. If I need a drain and refill I'll buy the unadulaterated and add my own water.
Harry K

do you save any money buying unmixed antifreeze?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 12/5/2011 5:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Seems to be just another big box way to cut the quantity of a standard package.
One pound coffee bags are now 12 oz, I have seen what were 16 oz cans as small as 10.5 oz. So instead of making a 32 oz "gallon" jug they dilute it 50% with water and sell you 2 quarts for almost the same price as a gallon.

I had bought a couple gallons of antifreeze. I had tried flushing my 66 datsun and I knew cold weather coming up. I grab my gallon, look at it, and am reminded your supposed to use demineralized water. I always knew that, but usually use tap water. I say, where in the he'll am I going to find distilled water today. Am I to drive all over the place. I say, he'll no. I drive to advance auto and buy premixed. My datsun is plugged up enough. Going to pay good money for distiled water anyway. Used to find it at most mini marts long ago.
Greg
On 12/5/2011 8:15 PM, gregz wrote:

I imagine distilled water was more in demand when most people used a steam iron on their clothing. ^_^
TDD

Gone completely? Every drug store and most every supermarket here carries it. Ask your wife, I bet she knows about it.
Also, many industrial batteries for lift trucks and the like still need water.
On 12/6/2011 5:50 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Even WalMart has it. A little over a buck a gallon.

many "zero maintenance" auto batteries still have caps that can be removed and water added as necessary. I suspect they'll last longer if you do keep them topped off with distilled water. they may hide them under a label or decal,they probably are 3 caps molded into one big rectangle.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Steam irons Vaporizers Nebulizers Humidifiers on home oxygen systems Aquariums Cleaning wounds and surgical dressings Eye wash
Not really needed, but people us it for: Baby formula Drinking Coffee, tea, reconstituting drinks. I prefer filtered for those uses.

Steam irons are getting rare, but still exist.
There are tens of thousands of people using the other equipment. My son makes a good living supplying home respiratory equipment it just in a small area.

Depends on the fish and depend son what is in your water. Most are from other locations of the world and some are quite sensitive to what is in the water.

Agree on that.

Humidifier, usually for use in a small room

I'm not a doctor,, but I imagine some tap water can be bad for an open wound, depending again on mineral composition.

The question I have is not why people who can afford it buy pre-mixed, but why so much more of it is sold than non-mixed, even though I would think most people can't afford it.
Even moreso wrt windshileld washer fluid. It is near impossible to find any of that except gallon containers of pre-mixed. Everyone has water and there is no need at all for ion-free water for the windshield washer.
It seems in both cases, customers have been manipulated by the vendors.