Why are "Ice and Water" roof membranes always "peel-and-stick" ???

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:49:33 -0600, "3D Peruna"

that's not why. but you are right about wrapping it onto your facia.
wrap the ice guard on to your facia and nail the gutter to the ice shield. try to keep the gutter down below the shingle's edges (don't allow the shingles to lap onto the gutter straps (hangers, spikes or what ever, including screens, if possible) . wal-la, the best that can be done. you don't need to fuss with adhering it to plywood. you don't even have to fuss with adhering to your facia. been there done that
the bottom line. the water SHOULD never reach that point (plywood sheathing) regardless, sticking it down or not sticking it down. but that's not how it always goes, even in a perfect world.
Add pictures here
✖
no wrote:

???
Walla Walla, Washington? or voilá?
Add pictures here
✖

Let me ask you this... if sticking it down doesn't matter, why isn't the stuff sold without the adhesive as an alternative? Some marketing ploy? Lawyers?
I'm still sticking it down on my new house...
Add pictures here
✖
3DPeruna wrote:>Let me ask you this... if sticking it down doesn't matter, why isn't the

Bituthane _is_ sticky. Tar _is _sticky. It's the sticky stuff that seals up around nails. Yeesh. Tom Work at your leisure!
Add pictures here
✖
John wrote:>

Yabbut, his first layer will be a dimensional roof, very convoluted compared to your typical 3-tab. They don't usually take well to a roof-over. Also, the problem with the I&W shield sticking to the decking(then trying to tear it off 20 years from now) is the OP's main beef. Tom Work at your leisure!
Add pictures here
✖

So tell me why nailing down felt is somehow not a problem, but try to suggest nailing down the Ice/Water membrane and all of a sudden it's a different story. ???
And why does I/W needs to be adhered to the edges, when felt doesn't (because it can't)? If felt doesn't have a peel-and-stick backing, and if you'd suggest it in place of I/W, then why can't I get away with nailing I/W and NOT using it's sticky part?
In other words, just because the I/W membrane has a sticky backing why does that mean I have to USE the sticky backing? The I/W membrane is a membrane NOT BECAUSE OF THE STICKY BACKING. It's special because of what it's made of - not because it has a sticky backing. The sticky backing does not make it work better. I think the membrane part is great! I think the sticky backing is for SHIT because of what it means for re-roofing later.

I'll bet it takes less time to take an I/W membrane, LEAVE THE RELEASE SHEET ON, unroll it and position it, and then nail it. Vs taking the release sheet off and wrestling with it while it's all sticky and trying to get it into position. Come on - nailing it down should be no more difficult than if it was felt.

Yes- these are single-tab shingles, and I'm looking at a weight of 300 lbs per square (vs 215 lbs for your average 3-tab).

Yes. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if in 20 years when I take the shingles off that they release easily from the I/W shield so that basically the shield could stay put on the roof and I just throw new shingles over them. But if the shield needs to come off, then I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO TEAR UP THE PLYWOOD when I'm at it.
I have yet to hear a clear technical reason why these I/W membranes have a sticky underside that essentially glues them to the wood deck. They don't need that in order to act as an I/W membrane to keep water from getting to the deck by backing up under the shingles.
All I can imagine (and hear some people observing) that the sticky part of these I/W membranes are bad news when it comes time to re-roof. Lots of down-side to the sticky back-side, and no up-side.
I'm thinking the sticky backside is all for product liability reasons and not for technical / performance reasons.
Add pictures here
✖

I beleive the sticky backing does need to be there. on the front edge of the roof it seals itself to the edge of the plywood to prevent any water or ice from getting to the wood. with out it being sticky. water or ice could easily get under it at the edge
Add pictures here
✖
Joe wrote:>

Well, what did I tell you the first time you broached this subject? It helps keep the roofer from falling off the roof. Tom Work at your leisure!
Add pictures here
✖