Why are bathroom fans in ceiling?

Page 2 of 2
Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote:

Methane is odorless, so what's the diff?
HeyBub wrote:

scrounge around used building material yards and pick up an American Standard "Ventaway" toilet. (AKA in my youth as "The fart catcher.")
Repair parts for them are still available.
They stopped making them quite a few years ago, probably for water conservation reasons. They used running water to pull the air out of the bowl and send that air down the drain after the trap section of the toilet.
IIRC you pulled up on the flush handle to turn on that water flow before you sat down. Pushing down on the handle to flush the toilet stopped the venting water flow.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Wouldn't that suck your, you know, down the drain?
That prospect scares the crap outta me!
Oh.
Maybe that's what it's for...

Calm down. I don't think they're talking about those nuts.

Yup... to scare the crap out of you req

Airplanes toilet also suck air out of the bowl. However it is not continuous action; you have to push a button when you need the wind (or whatever) suck out of you.

You are in the company of great minds; Buckminster Fuller put the bathroom fan low under the sink in the Dymaxion House for this very reason. (http://www.bfi.org/node/548 ). Of course, the whole bathroom was a prefab copper capsule, and only one family has ever lived in a Dymaxion House, but apparently they quite liked the bathroom, so it must have worked.
But as others have pointed out, the *code* requirement for fans in both bathrooms and kitchens is not for your olfactory comfort but to dispel moisture, which if unchecked will promote mold and rot. For code purposes I think you'll find any room with a sink needs a fan, yes this means all those bedrooms with toothbrushing sinks in the corner are bathrooms as far as electrical codes go.
What careful scientific analysis went into this definition? Who knows.
Having said all that I don't think code mandates the fan in the ceiling, just as in a kitchen you don't need a range hood. Although ceiling fans and range roods are probably most effective at removing vapor, I believe an exhaust fan anywhere in those rooms meets code requirements. But I'd check with the local inspector before I put the hole in the wall.
Chip C Toronto
The primary use of the fan it so remove the warm moist air from the shower. The smell you are talking about will also rise towards the ceiling.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
bathroom fans are not for smell removal. the reason they are required is to remove shower and bath moisture.

Hot air rises. (i.e. 98.6 in a 70* room)
Just from a practical standpoint, unless the exhaust fan is located on an exterior wall, it is easier to vent the fan if it is in the ceiling. Mounting the fan in an interior wall presents the problem of running the duct, presumably 3"-6", through the top plate of the wall. A ceiling mount allows you to duct to the outside via attic, or the space between joists.

re: Mounting the fan in an interior wall presents the problem of running the duct, presumably 3"-6", through the top plate of the wall.
Through the top plate? How wide are your walls that you could run a 3" - 6" duct *through* the top plate?

re: Mounting the fan in an interior wall presents the problem of running the duct, presumably 3"-6", through the top plate of the wall.
Through the top plate? How wide are your walls that you could run a 3" - 6" duct *through* the top plate?
I think that kind of implies what the problem is -----
If you try to run the duct up inside the wall and "through" the top plate you effectively destroy the top plate?

I read the problem to be that it would be *harder* to run the vent through the top plate than to simply run it into the attic through the ceiling, like it would be harder to run a wire through the top plate than to run it through the ceiling.
I don't consider a complete severing of the top plate to be "through it".
I believe "through" implies that there is some material left surrounding the hole.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

The reason the fan is there or required is for moisture not smells. It's called a "fart fan" as a joke. The moisture occurs from shower/bathing and usually rises because of the warmth. The codes usually specify a certain amount of "air changes" per hour for an exhaust fan.
How about you install one in your floor and see how that works.
Is your smell thick enough to sink?

what? is your smell thicker than the sink? heh