Whose fault is this...

My contractor got a plumber to install fixtures in a bathroom remodel (total gutting of old bathroom). They're just finishing up and the finish cup on the moen shower valve sticks out by 3/4 inch and does not cover the mounting screws. It's easier to see by a photo here:
http://www.gloriawachtel.com/eleanor/shower.jpg
It seems to me that they did not take into account the distance from the valve to the finished wall...So who is to blame for this? The contractor who did the wall/tile, or the plumber who installed the shower valve?
What should I demand be done to fix this?
________________________________
Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com ________________________________

I would request that they make it look like it should. Your deal was with the contractor. The plumber is a sub. I agree with your assessment of the cause. Who is to blame can be debated between the plumber and the contractor. Neither of us was there when they discussed it. Therefore we can't answer the question who to blame. All you want is for to it to be as it should be. If honey doesn't solve the problem, then you can say no pay till correct.
--
Colbyt
Remove " stopspam." from the email address to reply via email

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I assume that you are paying the (general) contractor and s/he is paying the plumber. If that's the case the GC has charged you a markup on the plumber's work and, in exchange, the GC is the responsible party as far as you are concerned. If you hired and paid them each separately, it's your job to sort it out. I'd start with the plumber.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Joseph Meehan" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
The fixture looks like a 2500 series and if you look at the installation instructions at http://www.moen.com/hidden/pdf/instruction_sheets/INS129A.pdf
it appears that the stop tube sticks out a good inch.
As a plumber, if I installed this fixture with the Moen supplied tile ring as it is shown in the instructions, I would say it's Moens design.
Can you remember if the plumber left the black plastic tile ring on after the rough-in and was it flush with the tile surface? If yes then he has installed it as it is supposed to be.

Terry,
Look at the drawing on the first page just above the heading "Francais". The handle looks as if it's flush against the escutcheon. In the picture
http://www.gloriawachtel.com/eleanor/shower.jpg the handle is not flush. Someone needs to correct this. I think the consensus answer to talk to the contractor is correct. I disagree with your belief that this is a flaw in Moen's design and didn't follow your arguments. Have you had problems installing this type of faucet?
Dave M.
The drawing to the right is for the installation of the valve to a fiberglass unit with a thin wall using the tile or plaster guard as part of the mounting hardware.
I didn't mean that it is a flaw in design, just that the screws are supposed to show.
For example, the screws on a Delta escutcheon show.

Update: the GC came by today and was able to get to the valve by going in through the outside of the house. He spent 4 hours on it and basically said that he screwed up.
________________________________
Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com ________________________________
Glad you got it fixed to your satisfaction. Lucky to be able to get to it from the outside without major repairs. The GC's that I work for would have called me instead of them coming out on Saturday and Labor day WE at that.

i guess he really did screw up. the wet wall should NOT be an outside wall. it should be on an inside wall with access from the other side.
now what will happen when the cold weather gets here? hhmmmm

don't know how south. When I lived in Louisiana my washing machine, water heater and shower stall for the pool where in the utility room/breezeway between the garage and the house. Temperatures got close to freezing occasionally but the plumbing never froze.
Bill
"Kitchens Inc." wrote:

hmmmm. Insulation.
Not only impractical but impossible as well, for all walls that contain plumbing in them to be an interior wall.

NOT true if the engineer or architect does their job correctly all plumbing would be on an interior wall with access.
did I forget to mention "I am an Architect"
AnnG stop riding my ass on every thread I respond to. I only allow 1 person to ride my ass each day and today is NOT your day ......tomorrow doesn't look good either! sorry..........................stand in line!
"Kitchens Inc." wrote:

No but I suspected so. It was the impractical part that gave you away.
Not all but many of the dumbest, most impractical folks I've ever had the displeasure of working with for over 30 years have been architects.

You're out of your element. Usenet is not for the thin-skinned, nor is a help forum such as this for one who knows it all and won't accept correction.

Well, South Carolina has a different definition of "cold weather". Two of my outside bathroom walls of my 40 year old house are "wet" plumbing and it's not an issue with a minimal amount of insulation.
Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com ________________________________

contact him, he does what needs to be done to correct the situation.
Dave
Sparks writes:

Should have installed a Delta faucet.