Whole House Fan Preferred Brands/Models?

hi,

I am interested in installing a whole-house fan. So far, I have found some models by Tamarack and Nutone. Any comments on these brands? Other brands that are better? I am looking for a decent quality unit. Also interested in hearing any recommendations on thermostats or other controllers.

Due to space limitations, I will need to put in a 20" or 24" fan.

Thanks,

Jedd

Reply to
Jedd Haas

You should post at alt.home.repair, as this is a pro's group.

BTW, there are many of us pro's that answer Homeowners post over there as well.

Good Luck, ~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

I put in a 30", 2-speed, 1/3hp Dayton fan (3C325B)a little over a year ago. It's been great!! Reasonably quiet, and it really moves the air. I've also been impressed with the rock solid build -- although it was another matter when I was having to hoist the heavy mother 12' up a ladder ;-) Seriously, though, the construction seemed significantly better than the fans I saw at H-D and Lowes. I bought the fan from Grainger

All that said, I don't know if Dayton makes 20-24" fans. Sorry.

Hope this helps, Joe

Reply to
Joe Doe

I installed a crummy fan from Lowes, and HD had nothing better. I wish I had gone to Grainger and paid more money. A whole-house fan is not a cooling device per se, but a wind-making device for which a window has to be open, and/so I don't think you want a thermostat at all. Just a good switch. Maybe a timed switch, the kind you wind up to 60 minutes. Again, try Grainger.

-B

I just had one put in from HD. Just what do you not like about it? Mine has only been running a month or so, but everything seems fine. Do these units have a reputation? Mine is a 30 inch Master Flow with belt drive. Dan

Reply to
Dan

I put one in from Lowe's, a Certainteed, works great !! No problems so far.

Reply to
ck

I recently installed a Tamarack Technologies HV1000 and am quite pleased. The unit is more expensive ($430 on line) than the Home Depot and Lowes varieties, but it is much quieter. It is about as loud as a box fan on low. Quiet enough to run while we are sleeping. The HV1000 is also insulated - powered doors with R22 insulation seals the unit when it is off. Also I needed a vertical mount to fit in a knee wall. I was told that the horizontal mount fans will quickly fail if installed in a vertical position.

I installed the unit with the included switch but am considering swapping that out for a timer to catch the coolest part of the early morning.

Most importantly, my wife is pleased that I spent more for a better unit - she hates the whole house fan in a friends house as much too loud.

This fan qualifies for a $100 energy company rebate that I am currently waiting for.

Reply to
ClearCut