Whole House Fan

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Second floor of my house gets considerably hotter than the first floor. I am
considering installing whole house fan to mitigate this issue.

Does whole house fan realy help?

I was thinking about the fan that has insulation on top of it and which opens up
when the fan starts. Until I read extermely bad reviews about this fan.

I really don't like to install regular whole house fan as an idea of huge
uninsulated hole in my attic does not really click with me.

Re: Whole House Fan
My parents used a box fan, in upstairs window. Helped, a lot.

Does your house have full attic? Tell us a bit about insulation, and windows
in your attic, or no windows?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  www.lds.org
.

Second floor of my house gets considerably hotter than the first floor. I am
considering installing whole house fan to mitigate this issue.

Does whole house fan realy help?

I was thinking about the fan that has insulation on top of it and which
opens up when the fan starts. Until I read extermely bad reviews about this
fan.

I really don't like to install regular whole house fan as an idea of huge
uninsulated hole in my attic does not really click with me.

Re: Whole House Fan

I've had whole house fans in all 3 of my houses. In house #1, I bought
one of the huge window fans, and a relative built a hinged frame for it
so that I could swing it open to get to the window to close it in the rain.

Next two houses have had the hole-in-the-attic variety. I really liked
the first of those, which I bought 20+ yr ago at Sears. It had a
variable speed knob and the self-closing vents plus the company sold
some sort of heat sensor that killed it in the event of a fire. Make
sure you have good window screens - that fan worked so well that it
sucked small bugs in.

Current house came with a small whole house fan. It has one speed -
loud! So when I use it, it's usually just to start air circulating, and
then I turn it off.

One problem with all of them is that(in addition to the bugs) they also
suck in the humidity.  As for the gaping hole in the winter, "they" used
to sell plastic covers for the grates that attached with magnets. I've
also taped plastic over the grates, and in the last house where I had
really easy access to the attic, I used to throw an old quilt over it in
the winter.

Re: Whole House Fan
Thanks. The others have given great ideas. My parents used to open the
windows at night, and use a box fan blowing out, from one upstairs window.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  www.lds.org
.

House is very well insulated and has R-49 attic insulation. The roof is
gable and there is continous soffit vent and ridge vent. No other vents or
windows.

Re: Whole House Fan
I got one. It's too fast and noisy. Panasonic has some smaller quiet fans.
I have shutters, and I built a box above out of foam, with foam door. I
sometime quick cool the house when it's cooler outside, but soon turn it
off. I also sometimes clean the house with a blower !!! They used to sell a
vertical belt driven model with less than 16 inch opening. Don't know if
it's still around. A lot quieter. I still want to install another fan less
than 500 cfm.

Greg

Re: Whole House Fan

We have one in central NJ. Yes, they really help.

We have a 4'x4' louvered grate that opens to the outside on a wall.
The door that opens into the attic to let air flow is insulated.

--
Dan Espen

Re: Whole House Fan

If you've got a double hung in a spare upstairs bedroom you might want to
consider one of these. Set it to blow out and open your BR windows. We had a
large one like this but have switched to a smaller version that's quite
efficient. I take it out and put it in a closet during cold weather. We use
a timer that turns it on a couple hours before bed time and then shuts it
off after several hours at night.

http://www.ventingdirect.com/air-king-9166-20-3560-cfm-3-speed-whole-house-window-fan/p441363?source=gba_441363

Re: Whole House Fan

The fan can do wonders under the right conditions, but it is not an
air conditioner.  We use our in mild weather and it draws the cooler
outside air into the house and flow is controlled by opening or
closing windows as needed.  It is also variable speed.

In the real heat though, I turn on the AC and the fan sits idle.  Fans
move air, but they do not remove humidity.

Re: Whole House Fan

Years ago (40) in another location I built one.  20 inch blade, belt
drive.1/3 horsepower 3 speed motor. Bought a bladed set up that would open
up by suction of fan. closed when fan turned off. Single story house.
Installed in hallway. Would turn on and open windows on shaded side of
house. This worked very well. At night time opened bedroom window and ran
fan speed on low. No cool air problem in winter. blades sealed well  WW

Re: Whole House Fan
The answer to that is sometimes, ie, when it's cooler
outside and you don't have AC on.  Then the fan can
quickly draw cooler outside air into the house.  Like if
you've been away, come home and find it 80 inside
and 70 outside.  For it to work, you also need the outside
air to not be too humid.

On the other hand, if the problem is that the upstairs is
considerably hotter than downstairs with central air on,
it's 85 outside, then the whole house fan isn't going to
do you any good.   I suppose you could turn it on to
draw the cool air from downstairs up, but it's not going
to be very efficient, because the air leaving from upstairs
is going to need to be replaced by hot, humid outside air
coming in downstairs.  That will heat up the downstairs and place a
huge load on the AC.

You also need sufficient attic venting so the air has a
means of exist.

fan.
Having one that seals when off and is insulated is important.  If the
attic is accessible, some just manually
cover it up with insulation in the fall.

Re: Whole House Fan
I understand that I need to openwindows downstairs when operating whole hou=
se fan. I expec to use it when temperature outside is cool enough which doe=
s happen a lot of time ussually at nights.

s fan.
Covering fan with insulation only at fall does not help much since the fan =
will represent a huge hole when not working during summer time in otherwise=
 well insulated attic.

Re: Whole House Fan

I had one of the fans with insulation on top and found that it didn't move
enough air and was noisy.

I replaced it with one of these and have been very happy:

http://www.airscapefans.com/products/Shop/Natural-Cooling/Starter-Whole-House-Fans/Kohilo2

Also available in a larger size:

http://www.airscapefans.com/products/Shop/Natural-Cooling/Starter-Whole-House-Fans/Kohilo

Re: Whole House Fan
s fan.
Interesting point.  The problem of insulation vs airflow
would seem to be an inherent part of any design where
the insulation is part of the fan.  For insulation to be
effective, it has to be reasonably thick.  And if it is,
unless they have some fancy design that moves it
completely out of the way, it's going to be in the way
of the airflow.

Re: Whole House Fan
that's the way whole house fans are.  You just climb up there in the
fall, take the belt off and cover it with the bat fiberglass insulation.
  in the spring, when it doesn't work (because the belt is off) you are
reminded to go up and take the insulation off it and re-install the
belt.  For me, i just leave it uncovered.  It's not that big a deal.

Having said all that about the fan, is your house air conditioned?  You
might try closing a couple or few vents in the down stairs and making
sure all the vents are wide open upstairs.  Opposite for heat.

--
Steve Barker

Re: Whole House Fan
fan.
How about a photo of the house, where you ae located, any trees, type
of heating/cooling system, etc.  Otherwise we are all just taking
potshots at something we know very little about.

Re: Whole House Fan
s fan.
I just wanted to point out another option.  We currently utilize an
evaporation cooler here in Colorado.  If you live in a area that has
relatively low humidity, then this is a good option.  It's similar to
a house fan, but it sits on top of the roof.  It contains a large
rotating drum which pulls outside air through moistened pads and then
feeds the cool wet air through the top floor of the house.   You open
a lower level windows to draw the cool air outside.  This cools the
entire house and provide fresh air.  Unfortunately, it doesn't help
much in high humidity as the air is already wet.

Re: Whole House Fan
If you are considering installing attic fan
Consider shutters to be open electrically and with
no dough in you mine have variable speed fan motor.
If you can get shaded or polyphase fan motor similar to
AC condenser motor you can variable speed control your self
However if you are not electronic wiz get one all ready made
for that purpose.

Re: Whole House Fan
Having electric shutters is a great idea for slow fan speeds. It would also
open up ability to have thicker insulated shutters.

Greg

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread

Site Timeline