whole house cartridge water filtration systems

I was considering purchasing this product:
http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c.ACCT68732/it.A/id.1269/.f
It claims to be a 7 stage filter (kdf, ion exchange resin, carbon, etc.).
Our house has "slightly under the allowable levels" of lead. For my comfort level, I would like to reduce it further, but I don't want to pay a ton of money for a professional quality system.
Does anyone have any experience with this company?
Do cartridge filters like this reduce lead? Even a 50% reduction would be enough for me.
Does the price seem too low to be realistic or useful?
- Erik
Erik 2.0 wrote:

Yes. Of course the gambit could be to 'give away' the hardware and stiff you for the frequent supplies like the computer printer makers have done for years. But more importantly, the company publishes no data showing before and after contaminant levels nor meaningful numbers on cartridge life. Dealing with a multitude of filters with varying life cycles and no way to determine when changes are needed doesn't seem like something that will survive long term usage. More research is indicated here: start with Consumer Reports and Google lots of articles on water quality. You might even find a substantial lead reduction by simply replacing your lead-tin soldered copper pipes with Pex plumbing throughout the house. Good luck.
Joe
Erik 2.0 wrote:

The material says that it does reduce lead. For the price, i think it is worth a try. the simple whole house filter I installed for my house cost about 1/3 that price so it sounds about right.
The real cost is in the replacement filters. I have found that the more effective the filter the more often it has to be replaced sometimes as often as monthly which can add up.
I have a problem with the low price, the amount of water it claims to process per batch of filters, especially the 1 micron filter which will/could plug up quickly. I am using 4.5" x 20" filter set, in the detailed specifications they do not claim to process that much water before they are spent. The price is way too low.

The only thing in this system that will remove dissolved lead is the ion exchange stage. If you have relatively hard water, you'll be constantly replacing the ion exchange stage since it will be depleted by the calcium and magnesium in the water, especially since you're running all of the water through it. You also need some way of determining when that stage is depleted.
I use a reverse osmosis system for drinking/cooking water and icemaker only. It's also a 7 stage system. Filters have to be replaced about once a year and the reverse osmosis membrane lasts about three years before needing replacement. My system includes an ultraviolet light stage to destroy virus and bacteria. Cost for the system was around $200.00 and that included the cost of a booster pump, since I'm on a deep well system. So far, I'm pleased with the system and the water tastes great.
Harry