Whirlpool washer not draining

I have a Whirlpool washer model LSN 1000J. It washes normally, but when it's time to empty the water itsounds like the pump is running but no water comes out. If I advance the timer, it does nothing, no noise from the timer and no spin cycle. Nothing. Same in all modes. Just wanted to ask if anyone had any advice before I started taking the thing apart.
TIA Jimmy
I found it. It was a broken lid switch. The two screws go into a plastic and it was cracked, not making connection. I went to http://www.applianceaid.com/repair-help.html and they had all kinds of very helpful info.