Which has the better cordless 18v. drill: Bosch or Hitachi

Page 2 of 3

Point taken, but if you CAN buy something still made here, and its rock solid, why not?

I have got a couple of drills, both Ni-cad and I intend to rebuild the battery pack. Easily done, just buy the rightnumber of batteries and wire them in series in teh pack. I presume you can do the same with the lithium batteries etc.
snipped-for-privacy@mi.sig wrote:

Uhh, assuming the battery packs were built using standard cell sizes. My 18V battery packs certainly don't look like they contain 15 AA cells inside (AAA won't provide enough current).
Mike
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

www.digikey.com and www.mouser.com sell replacement batteries in these sizes and will even spot weld them to the correct config you give them so you don't have to try soldering them (bad). Lithium Ion batteries are still hard to find though. I priced out what it would cost to rebuild my 8 year old 9.6v makita packs when they started getting to where they wouldn't hold a charge for very long a couple years ago (bought the drill in 95). A new battery cost $29 then and to buy the cells it would cost me $24 per pack plus shipping to get them to me. I just bought a couple new battery packs and bought the angle drill kit which gave me another charger and battery so I now have three batteries and a couple chargers plus the various drills and saws I've picked up over the last 10 years which all share the same pack type. I put the old batteries away so when i do need to rebuild the new ones, I'll just rebuild all 5 at once as the cost of a new pack has gone up to $39.
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Most battery packs take what's called a "sub-C" cell. These are standard sizes, just not what you're used to from the bunny.
BTW, I bought a Porter-Cable 14.4V driver to supliment my 12V Makita (batteries going) a couple of years ago. The PC driver is quite nice, as are the other PC tools I've bought.
--
Keith

snipped-for-privacy@mi.sig wrote:

You may be able to do that, but I don't think it's a viable option for most of us. First problem is getting into the plastic battery case. Mine seems to be fused together with no way to get in without destroying it. Next problem is where to get replacement batteries of the correct dimensions and voltages. Not saying it can't be done, I'm just not sure it's worth the trouble.
DonkeyHody "We talk about the Good Old Days, but we weren't Good, we weren't Old, and we're talking about the Nights."

This seems similar to a challenge I had to get inside and repair a sealed fan speed-control switch for my car (for which used parts are now rare and new ones are unreasonably expensive, plus take ages to arrive after placing in an order). In this case I carefully cut the plastic casing open with a blade-shaped hot soldering iron tip. Then after fixing the insides, I resealed the case by again using soldering iron (with a different tip) to meld edges back together again. Didn't look very neat, but it's concealed from view and it did the trick.

Look for an electronic technician's supply outlet. There's at least one in the town where I live which carries a whole assortment of such rechargeable batteries and can order in anything you don't see on the shelf.

You're right. Unless you have the time to tinker and you just happen to derive enjoyment from such challenges, it is probably is not worth your trouble; especially if you rely on the tool for professional work and therefore can't tolerate the occasional unexpected 'surprise'. For example, discovering while busy on the job that your battery-case re-sealing work could have been reinforced or strengthened better to prevent the seam from splitting open after an accidental, but routinely common, fall to the floor... On the other hand, if you intend to replace batteries this way into the future, once you get the knack of it, or with refinement of technique along with greater efficiency and practicality gained from further practice and experience, one may decide it to be worth one's while in the long run, I don't know.
Ken
KMoiarty wrote:

It's funny how our experiences mold our personalities. My Dad came of age during the Great Depression, and it had a profound effect on him. His mantra was repeated to me at least once a week during my formative years. "Use it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without."
Once he had a tire with a slow leak. I noticed the low tire, dragged the air compressor out of the barn and filled the tire up for him. "There, Dad, that should hold you 'til you can get to a service station and get it fixed." "Fixed?? There's nothing wrong with that tire. It just goes down."
Last summer, the computerized climate control quit working on his '92 Cadillac (barely broken in with 165,000 miles). Rather than pay to get it fixed, he ran a wire from the AC compressor back to the base of the windshield. Too much trouble to fish the wire through a hole in the firewall (he's 82). So he just ran the wire outside around the "A" pillar and back in through the open driver's door. The wire continues to a residential light switch in a handi-box he mounted to the steering column with zip ties. When it gets too hot, he turns the AC on. When it gets too cold, he turns it off.
Growing up on a farm with him had a profound effect on me. I have absolutely no tolerance for anything "rigged". Nothing at my place is held together with baling wire or duct tape. I may not have all the toys I want, but the ones I have are nice.
But I'll probably die broke instead of comfortable like him.
DonkeyHody "We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." - Mark Twain

You just have to love a guy like that.

Well compared to your Dad, at 46 I'm just a youngster, never having had to experience anything like the great depression. But I'm a bit of a rebel when it comes to today's disposable modular car parts, where there's no apparent advantage over the old fashioned kind except more money to the manufacturer when the most minor of repairs are needed. Maybe I learned this from my Dad because he was always handy at repairing things that other people wouldn't even try to repair. In fact, before struck by chronic illness, he had a humble but thriving small appliance sales and repair business whose customer base largely was attracted to his reputation for repairing items other dealers would either refuse to, or do so for a price that was in line with all that actually needed to be done. For example, if somebody's vacuum cleaner's motor brushes were worn out, and the wholesale cost for a set of replacement brushes was unreasonably steep, my Dad would simply take a larger sized set of brushes out of his collection of otherwise worthless spare parts, take a couple of minutes to file them to the size required, install them and the machine and it would be running like new again. I did this myself about 8 years ago when my car's defrost motor conked out, due to what I discovered was in fact worn out brushes. Paid $7 for a set of vacuum cleaner brushes (after convincing the reluctant owner of the vacuum cleaner store what made me presume he even carried such a part in his store, and then that I wasn't attempting to deprive him of any business by intending to use them to repair my own vacuum cleaner. <funny> Filed them to the right shape and size, etc...etc... I still drive the same car (with almost 300,000 km on the odometer) and the defrost motor hasn't been any problem whatsoever since. Saved myself a lot of money not having to buy, not merely a replacement motor per se, but the whole modular unit which a new defrost/heater motor comes encased in. (PS: The car is a '91 Dodge/Mitsubishi Colt 200, which I bought when it was new.)
Ken
snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says...

My parents grew up in the depression, as well. However, they are/were (mom's still alive) more like you than your OM. If they wanted something they'd wait and buy the best. Cars were for transportation and didn't impress them much though. If something broke it was fixed. Usually. ;-)
You're right though, depression kids have a very different outlook on life.

Priorities.
--
Keith

Reminds me of what I did with my Phillips/Norelco cordless shaver a few years ago when the built-in Ni-Cads began to fade. When I took the unit apart I discovered that the batteries had been installed by the manufacturer in such a way as to prevent anyone from replacing them. I took this as a challenge to "my rights" as a consumer and after a few days of thinking it through plus asking key questions, figured out a way to successfully replace the worn out Ni-Cads with new ones. The shaver is now 18 years old and runs like new. Unfortunately, my Dad died two months ago and I inherited his much nicer, more advanced top of the line Phillips/Norelco shaver, which I had bought for him as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago. So my old perfectly good shaver now sits unused in a drawer. Guess it's time to give it away to someone else who could use a good shaver.
The moral is, never throw out a cordless appliance only because its batteries have expired; even if it's been designed to prevent them from being serviced.
Ken

I looked into this and now have 2 options. 30 sub C cells @ 2.10 ea. for 2 battery packs plus shipping and my time to re-build them or my local hardware store has the drill, 2 batteries, charger and case for 60 buck on sale right now.

habbi, you have the right idea. My first cordless takes batteries at CDN$89.95 each. Cells for rebuild about CDN$60 per pack. More powerful drill, case, 2 batteries, charger was CDN$129.95. The stuff is not worth fixing. (One of the reasons Toronto is in trouble for landfill space - nothing is worth fixing.) Bruce

Wow, you guys had better change your ways. We don't have that problem down here in the lower 48
Edwin, something needs to change, but:
*** my favourite watch - crystal broke - parts not available. Watch replacement cost CDN$10.00. 25 yrs ago was going to get a crystal replaced on a different watch - $70 parts & labour - only paid $20 for that watch. *** table lamp needs a cord. 8 ft cable $3.50, cord end $3.99. Alternative is extension cord $2.99. Much less expensive to buy the extension cord and cut the female end off. Plus, no problems with the cable to end connection. labour is extra. *** large windows - frame rotting. Assuming the glass can be saved, $10,000 to rebuild the frames plus ongoing maintenance or do it over again. Replace complete with aluminum frames, low-e coating on the new glass (sealed double glazed units), $18,000, maintenance free. *** TV with built in VCR player - the tape drive quits. Repair is $105 parts & labour (30 day warranty). New TV with both tape & DVD is $200.00 (5 year warranty) *** Floor lamp with broken switch. labour to repair is $35.00 (no warranty). Replacement lamp $19.99 (1 year warranty) *** portable fluorescent light fixture with cord & switch, $15.99 (1 year warranty). Replacement ballast $17.99. (part only, labour to install is extra) (no warranty)
Too much stuff is not worth fixing.
You might want to take a close look at what happens to stuff nobody wants where you live (broken or unwanted appliances, kitchen garbage, waste paper, old tires, etc.). Many people groups & governments have a pretty spotty history on disposal. If you are in the US, then have a good look at replacement costs vs. repair parts & labour. For items other than cars, houses, & large boats, I suspect that labour costs are high enough to make repairs expensive compared to replacement (I suspect that if you look closely, you will find many common items are made in China) (It is said that years ago a city in Japan changed their name to Usa, so they could market their manufactured goods as Made in USA. Keep your eyes open, & look carefully.)
Bruce
wrote in message

We did have one solution. Remeber the garbage barge? It was floated around thousands of miles beofe anyone would take it in a landfill.
If you are in the US, then have a good look at

You can even take houses out of that category. Many are now being torn down just so a larger one can be build in the same spot. Nothing wrong with the old one, just that the new owner want a bigger one. It won't affect me, bu t our kids and grandkids may have a tougher life with all the luxuries that we dispose of on a regular basis. Ed
Windows are a real bone of contention with me.
My windows - supposedly maintenance free - are now fogged up and the routine is replace them entirely. People blithely buy a whole set of new supposedly guaranteed windows.
This whole industry is a lark. The "sealed argon-filled double pane window" is a lark. I want good old-fashoned storm windows - not maintenances free, but at least you do not have to throw them away every decade.
Anyway that's my rant. Now the question I have for you good folks: Has anybody ever fixed one of those supposedly sealed windows? I am going to try: One option would be to roast them or subject them to a vacuum to draw out the moisture and then re-seal them with some kind of low viscosity compound. Another solution i have been considering is to drill vent holes at the corners of the outside pane. You would still have a still air sandwich but not perfectly still - I think the moisture will eventually leave. It would still probably be necessary to seal them to prevent moisture transmission from the inside but it would be easier since the window will no longer be "pumping" air from temperature changes.
I really don't want to plunk down thousands for new windows when I know that if there is a will there is a way to accomplish this.
***
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 11:18:18 -0500, "Bruce & Lois Nelson"

Apparently not :-)
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infwindows/infinsgla.shtm says:
When insulated glass gets broken, cloudy, or "fogs up" between the panes, what are the repair options?
Unfortunately, there is no repair for clouded insulated glass. When the seal around the perimeter of the two panes fails (not IF, but WHEN, because they all fail eventually), moisture enters the gap and condenses on the inside of the glass, giving it a foggy appearance. This is irreversible. The only repair is replacement of the panel.
You may be able to obtain an individual replacement glass panel, or have to purchase an entire replacment sash or door. A rule of thumb... metal windows and doors can usually be disassembled, wood sliding doors can normally be disassembled, and wood windows usually must be ordered as a complete sash. You should contact a local representative of the manufacturer (home stores and lumberyards have relationships with many window/door manufacturers) and find out for sure.
If the window/door is a "stationary" unit, the un-installing becomes more tedious. Most have mechanical fasteners that keep the unit stationary, and they are often caulked also. The large manufacturers, such as Pella and Andersen, offer help with the mechanics of uninstalling their products. They also have replacement glass available for all their windows... and you can order new panels without even disassembling the old ones for measurement.
"Mr. Cheap" brands may require some improvisation and trial-and-error to free them up. This is especially true if the mouldings are painted, since all evidence of nail heads and order-of-assembly is lost beneath multiple layers of paint! Also, you may have to order custom-made glass to fit the "no-name" frames.
After a long time, condensation can etch the inside of the panes. Perhaps you can take them apart and clean the glass with a flourine compound like:
http://www.continentalprod.com/greenhouse/glass/glass.htm http://www.carlinsales.com/PDF/13GreenhouseLightShade.pdf

A serious vacuum might break the glass...

Connecting the airspace to the outdoors seems like a good idea, but there might be condensation at times. You might more easily drill through the spacer between and parallel to the panes.
How about a hole in a spacer near the bottom and another near the top in an opposite corner? Unplug the holes and push air through the window with an aquarium pump at the end of 50' of 1/4" tubing in an ice brine basin? This might dry the window desiccant and avoid condensation for 5 years.
Nick
How will you clean the film of shmutz that is all over the inner area? I tried to open one up some years ago to clean and reseal it. Seemed a shame to have to chuck it out. While the sealant was not particularly tough to get to, it was quite a thin layer. Everything I tried, knife - got stuck, windshield sealant cutting wire - just resealed after about a foot away, and lastly cutting and prying - broke the glass. I looked at the milky film on the inside and some came off OK and some looked like it was baked on or etched.
Interesting to hear from others on this.
Pete