where to buy/refill portable propane tanks

I picked up old tanks with obsolete valves from garbage etc, turned then in at home depot as exchanges for the new valve type, take those tanks to local gas station for cheap refills, and when the tanks look bad, and begin to rust exchange them at home depot.for nicely refresed tanks. That way the tanks cost me ZIP, and the refills are usually cheap:)
I have about 8 tanks so I never run out, keep them in shed with door always ajar for safety........
Cheapest refills are local gas station with BIG tank, cheapest exchange home depot, pricest exchange the local convenience store, guess thats to be expected.
one advantage to exchanging tanks is they DONT smell like propane. cost perhaps 5 bucks more

Someone told me that milk is usually cheap at a convenience store, to get people to come in. I can never remember the supermarket price to check, so do any of you know if that milk is cheap or not?

Milk is usually < $2 at the convenience store near me. Grocery store is typically $3.50.
Bob

Wow. So my friend's statement isn't ridiculous. Since she lives in the same city I do, it's probably true here too, even if the price diff isn't as much.
Thanks.

What a silly question. Here, the biggest c-store chain is owned by a supermarket, so their milk is as cheap as at the parent company's supermarkets. Two hours away, the convenience stores are NOT like that, so the milk's more expensive. There's no way for anyone in this newsgroup to know what the situation is where you live.
Solution: Save the receipt from your next trip to the big supermarket.
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:55:51 -0700, "James \\"Cubby\\" Culbertson"

Why not just get it filled for 9 1/2 years and exchange it the last time?

Home Depot or Lowes sell new empty tanks.Probably Sams,Costco and BJ's,too. refills are cheaper than tank exchange.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Tim R wrote:

It's more convenient to exchange tanks if you don't live near a propane yard. It may be a lot faster too. Where I live in/ /in NY, there is a company called "Rhino" that has propane tank exchanges outside of almost all stores in the suburbs. I've seen them in front of supermarkets, convenience stores, beer stores, gas stations, the big box stores, one or more stores in strip malls, and just about in front of every other place except maybe clothing stores, but that may change soon. I don't know how big an area Rhino serves.
--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY

lp
most
or
They're here in Seattle.
Bob

I used to take my tank to the local construction equipment rental place for refill, but when we replaced our grill /sans/ tank, I opted to go the swap-it-at-the-store route for convenience's sake. It was cheaper at the outset than buying a cylinder to have filled.
What makes it really convenient at this point is that places like Home Depot are doing the do-it-yourself swap-out where you use a computer terminal to make your swap and the appropriate cage door opens for you to take out a fresh cylinder and put in the empty - 24 hours a day. So when I run out at 10:00 at night in the middle of playing cards, I can get a fresh tank without having to deal with the surly gas station attendant down the street.

Around here (Phoenix AZ area) they apparently are not allowed to dispense propane after sundown. At least, that is what I was told a couple of years ago when I was trying to get a tank refilled that ran out in the middle of a grilling session. I have no idea why not. Or maybe the guy at the gas station was just feeling lazy that night.
Jerry

Probably an insurance company or oil company anti-robbery rule- no walking out the door after dark. Was the clerk behind plastic? He isn't gonna give you the key to the tank cage, and you aren't allowed to take the 'empty' tank inside for him to inspect.
aem sends...

That is why you have a spare. No running to the store at 10:00 PM. Everyone has different priorities. I'd rather save the $5 to $10 per tank and have my tank re-filled.