where to buy a dip tube?

My water heater is one of those that had the defective dip tube. I havnt pulled the old one out but I have the symptoms of a defective tube. I looked on line and cant find a place that sells dip tubes. Any ideas where to buy them? Are they sized to a particular tank model or is it sufficient to just know its a 50 gallon gas fired heater tank thats xx high and yy wide with a 3/4 water connection? Thanks Eric

I don't think you tried very hard...
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/hotwater.html (halfway down the page)
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId (44694&cp&kw=dip+tube&origkw=dip+tube&sr=1
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
In addition, any decent plumbing supply business will carry dip tubes and tell you how to install it. Avoid the borgs.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId (44694&cp&kw=dip+tube&origkw=dip+tube&sr=1
Thank you. Can i ask what search terms you put into google? i found a lot of articles on dip tubes but i didnt actually find one for sale like you did. I must not be doing this google thing right Eric

tanks with dip tube troubles are now very aged.
so how do you know its bad? how old is your tank and what is it doing wrong.
with a old tank your probably better off replacing it, new foam insulated tanks are much more efficent too
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I get good hot water for a short time in the shower, then luke warm after that. Its a 50 gal tank, runs on NG, built in 96. If i could be sure a new one would be more efficient I might opt for a replacement. The thing is, i dont think a new one is much different. Seems the new ones mostly have about 1" of foam and thats what i have now near as i can tell. Can you recommend a top of the line efficient model? Thanks Eric

is the energy guide label still on your tank? its brite yellow and says how much its average fuel cost is...
beyond that your tank is 11 years old, is likely sludged up. since you run out of hot water why not upgrade to a 75 thousand BTU 50 gallon or even 75 gallon tank? this insures a big improvement and costs no more for energy. plus foam of that era is less than 1/2 of today per inch. the current foam is about R7 per inch closed cell. old foam was open cell and not nearly as good a insulator.
disturb your 11 year old tank will almost certinally result in a leak either short or long term.
My old tank wa 34,000 btu, replaced with the same size 75,000 btu it was like night and day:)
larger higher BTU tanks purchase price costs little more and adds so much in long term comfort and convenience.
trust mew is money WELL spent!