Where get cheapest methylated spirits?

Page 1 of 3
I use METHYLATED SPIRITS as a cleaner in the home and garage. I want to buy a couple of litres.
At present my local hardware shop sells it for a rather expensive 1.75 / 500ml.
I don't see meths listed online at any of the websites for Homebase, Focus or B&Q. Do these DIY chains actually stock meths and what do they charge?
Or maybe there are cheaper places to buy meths?
ALternatively I am told that ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL (also called ISOPROPANOL) is a good cleaner but the only place I have seen it is the chemists and they charge handsomely for it! Maybe there is a cheapish source for ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL?

Next time you or a friend of yours goes to France, get a few 5 litres from a hypermarket. Only about 3 for the 5 litre container.

Problem!!!
you're not allowed to carry it by Ferry, Eurotunnel or Air!, unless you swim across with it.

Better hope you don't get caught then!!!!

Which current regulation (Act, Chapter etc) are you on about?

The terms and conditions that you accept when you buy a ticket to cross the channel on any carrier, plus Section 52 of the Air Navigation Order if you are flying, whether in a private aircraft or on a carrier.
Colin Bignell

iii) Unless we give you prior written permission (which shall always be at our sole discretion), you may not bring with you any firearms or other weapons of any nature or substances of an explosive or hazardous nature. You may carry inflammable substances only in limited quantities and in accordance with our instructions and permission.
Since carriers (that would include me btw) safely move dangerous goods daily there are regulations to comply with in this case IMDG usually it means the goods are OK in small quantities in approved and marked containers and with information as to what to do in case of a spillage DW

lock you up and throw away the key ?
I think not.
Please elucidate
--
geoff

Have you drunk it all yet?
--
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com

"excuse me sir, are you carrying any drugs or meths?"
"no"
"very well sir, carry on"
--
geoff

pete wrote:

I use thinners when I need a powerful cleaning solvent.
Comes in at under a tenner for 5 litres from a trade paint supplier ..
Cheers
Paul.

I normally pay over 5/litre for IPA & if you don't have adequate ventilation you get the hangover from hell. Cheapest place to buy meths is your local decoraters suppliers or copying suppliers (copying spirit) http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/b/BIRMETHS /
Duncan Wood wrote:

That sounds pretty steep, especially if you use it in any quantity. I pay ~6-7 per winchester (2.5l).
--
Grunff

I don't use very much :-) Where do you get yours?

1.75 doesn't strike me as expensive, and it strikes me as one of those "much the same price wherever you go" type of things
DrSteveW

Petrol is only 80p a litre.....

geoff

raden wrote:

One way of enforcing no-smoking in the office loos
Owain

Has a better nose than brake-fluid.
--
Skipweasel.