Where get cheapest methylated spirits?

In teh sasme veind, anyine know where to get 5l of ACETONE withouit having to prove I am a vicar or definitely NOT refiniong cociane or something?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , runlikethewind writes

And when has that ever stopped anyone ?

"excuse me sir, are you carrying any drugs or meths?"

"no"

"very well sir, carry on"

Reply to
raden

In message , runlikethewind writes

What are they going to do ?

lock you up and throw away the key ?

I think not.

Please elucidate

Reply to
raden

In message , Phil writes

Tastes awful though

Reply to
raden

hairdressers' / beauty salons' wholesaler?

Reply to
Mark W

It appears that what he's on is having the desired effect ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

One way of enforcing no-smoking in the office loos

Owain

Reply to
Owain

He may be misquoting this from P&O iii) Unless we give you prior written permission (which shall always be at our sole discretion), you may not bring with you any firearms or other weapons of any nature or substances of an explosive or hazardous nature. You may carry inflammable substances only in limited quantities and in accordance with our instructions and permission.

Since carriers (that would include me btw) safely move dangerous goods daily there are regulations to comply with in this case IMDG usually it means the goods are OK in small quantities in approved and marked containers and with information as to what to do in case of a spillage DW

Reply to
Derek

I buy my Meths at Wilkinsons (Wilko), and if memory serves me well, it was £0.99 for 500mL.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

Nope. They tend to use 250mol bottles ONLY.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

similar?

Reply to
Rob Morley

For some things maybe but there are applications for which some sort of alcohol is by far the best cleaning agent. I made what I thought was a reasonable assumption that the OP had a specific cleaning requirement that needed alcohol and that he wasn't just washing his hands with it.

Reply to
usenet

Soap is a wetting agent and is not a good cleaner and it doesn't kill germs either. That is why soap powders have been replaced by detergents as they are far better at cleaning.

Meths isn't very good at cleaning either, it is a solvent and you have to keep diluting and then removing the solution. There are better degreasers (for example) but they are a bit more dangerous in the wrong hands.

Meths is still useful as antifreeze in the windscreen washers but it can attack the wiper rubbers.

Reply to
dennis

MAGIC!!!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , "dennis@work" writes

The useful thing about alcohol-based solvents is that they are miscible with both water and organic compounds.

Reply to
Steve Walker

The message from raden contains these words:

Has a better nose than brake-fluid.

Reply to
Guy King

Anyone got a source for undyed meths without the pyridine ? I'm using it as a solvent for shellac in french polishing. I can live with the methanol, but the stench of pyridine is horrible.

Price not really an issue !

At the moment I'm using pure (sic) ethanol, which is a royal pain to get hold of.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Distill your own?

Reply to
Rob Morley

In message , "dennis@work" writes

But mostly glycol

Reply to
raden

Glycol in the cooling system. Methanol in the washers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice