What we need is a better solution to the CARB/EPA gasoline can bung hole threaded neck problem

Page 2 of 4
On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 08:58:00 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

What is that, about $300-400 in gas jugs? What's wrong with drums and a pump? I don't get it. A 5-gal gas jug is always clumsy. I have one, and use it only to fill my 2 1/2 and 1 gal jugs. If I commonly dealt with more than 5 gals I'd arrange for bigger tanks and a transfer system. Just the thought of filling 10 cans at a gas station is something I don't want to entertain.
Vic Smith wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:32:06 -0500:

It's not done for cost reasons, although, in the long terms, the cans do eventually pay for themselves, but that was never the intent.
It's done for convenience. The wife *never* has to put gas in her car, since I do it for her.
Yet, the wife *hates* when I drive her car, so, I came up with a method to fill her car while she sleeps. :)

At some point, I'm going to add a set of 50-gallon drums and a pump, but that's for the future.

Yep. Best would be if the fuel could be delivered by a truck.

It doesn't bother me one bit, but, people at the gas station often ask me if I'm preparing for Armageddon?

Ah, so that's why you don't drive the car to the station.
Do you really think she'd just get in the car and drive it until empty and die on the spot?
Men do crazy things for women, but this is a new one on me.
You need some home repair, but it doesn't have anything to do with bulk transport of gasoline. But I'm guessing you wont listen. Hope it's worth it. When you were servicing the pretty neighbor lady I got confused.
--
Dan Espen

On 9/12/2014 8:58 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

I've heard of other guys using portable cans to keep wife's car gassed up. Remember, this is the same Danny D who was going to set up as a water hauler for his neighborhood.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Dan Espen wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 20:58:59 -0400:

I service *any* pretty lady I can, especially the wife, who cooks like a dream come true!
Vic Smith wrote:

A 55 gallon drum full of gasoline is, what, a little under 400 pounds. It would be tough to get into the trunk. Or out.
On 9/12/14, 11:09 PM, rbowman wrote:

My uncle used to keep a 250-gallon tank of ag gas for his Poppin' Johnnies. It was on the highway, 100 yards up the road from the house. Delivery charges must have been reasonable because he had a big pickup and a flatbed and could easily have rigged a hoist. I'm sure companies still deliver ag gas, and they probably deliver road gas.
On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:32:06 -0500, Vic Smith

The thought of trying to move or carry a 50 gallon drum is not that attractive to me either. How do you get it in and out of your truck?
On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 23:20:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's what the transfer pump is for. There's all kinds of pumps and gas caddy's and tanks that fit in the trunk (and can be pumped out from there) to suit your needs. http://tinyurl.com/pchd5ms The drum is meant for Danny's garage. An empty drum is light. He wants to refuel his wife' car from his home. Lots of ways to not have 10 5-gallon cans doing that.
On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 22:57:59 -0500, Vic Smith

So now we have 2 55 gallon drums and I am pumping gas between them.
Since I am using the gas in my boat, I still have to transfer it again into something I can carry or have a 35-40 foot fueling hose. (a tank like this has to be >25 feet from the water) I would also have the problem of this tank collecting water over time stale gas etc.. Since I am filling and emptying my jerry cans regularly, condensation is not an issue.
On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 01:15:45 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Who is "we"? You fueling your wife's car at home? I don't care if you fuel your boat using 5-gallon jugs.
gfretwell wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 23:20:55 -0400:

I wasn't clear. The drum is bought new, and transported empty. Once in place on the concrete pan, it is filled from a delivery truck.
The problem, of course, is getting a truck to delivery 50 gallons of gas which is a puny amount for them.
The other option, of course, is to just empty the ten 5-gallon portable gas cans into the 50-gallon drums, so that the wife can fill the car from the electric pump on the 50-gallon drums.
That would be slightly easier than me siphoning the gas, which is what I do now (which is pretty easy so the electric pump isn't all that much an improvement on the process).
Vic Smith wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 22:57:59 -0500:

Exactly. The wife can then fill her own car, but without having to drive to a gas station.
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sat, 13 Sep 2014 09:04:21 -0400:

The neighbors solved their water problem with a new well.
Our *new* community problem is that the darn county is ripping up all the blue reflectors we had carefully epoxied into the middle of the road on the more dangerous curves, so that non-resident cars would stay to the side on blind curves.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5585/15043728589_dc20b338aa_z.jpg
Note: The road is too narrow for a center stripe so they won't paint it. (I also removed the names of the people in the pink slip of paper in this photo.)
On 9/13/2014 9:14 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Wow, you do some good, and the county comes along and rips up the reflectors. That sounds like a bad place to live.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Why is the gas station such a problem for her?

You dope! Those blue reflectors are to indicate the location of a fire hydrant. No wonder the county is ripping them up.
On 9/13/2014 11:48 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Some thing new every day. Maybe if they used yellow reflectors, it would be acceptable?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

Well, she's driving something with a 50 gallon gas tank.
--
Dan Espen

Blue is the wrong color but they would get ripped up regardless of color. Government does like this sort of action by regular people even when everything is done perfectly.