What we need is a better solution to the CARB/EPA gasoline can bung hole threaded neck problem

Vic Smith wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:32:06 -0500:

It's not done for cost reasons, although, in the long terms, the cans do eventually pay for themselves, but that was never the intent.

It's done for convenience. The wife *never* has to put gas in her car, since I do it for her.

Yet, the wife *hates* when I drive her car, so, I came up with a method to fill her car while she sleeps. :)

At some point, I'm going to add a set of 50-gallon drums and a pump, but that's for the future.

Yep. Best would be if the fuel could be delivered by a truck.

It doesn't bother me one bit, but, people at the gas station often ask me if I'm preparing for Armageddon?

Reply to
Danny D.

Ah, so that's why you don't drive the car to the station.

Do you really think she'd just get in the car and drive it until empty and die on the spot?

Men do crazy things for women, but this is a new one on me.

You need some home repair, but it doesn't have anything to do with bulk transport of gasoline. But I'm guessing you wont listen. Hope it's worth it. When you were servicing the pretty neighbor lady I got confused.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Dan Espen wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 20:58:59 -0400:

I service *any* pretty lady I can, especially the wife, who cooks like a dream come true!

Reply to
Danny D.

A 55 gallon drum full of gasoline is, what, a little under 400 pounds. It would be tough to get into the trunk. Or out.

Reply to
rbowman

The thought of trying to move or carry a 50 gallon drum is not that attractive to me either. How do you get it in and out of your truck?

Reply to
gfretwell

That's what the transfer pump is for. There's all kinds of pumps and gas caddy's and tanks that fit in the trunk (and can be pumped out from there) to suit your needs.

The drum is meant for Danny's garage. An empty drum is light. He wants to refuel his wife' car from his home. Lots of ways to not have 10 5-gallon cans doing that.

Reply to
Vic Smith

So now we have 2 55 gallon drums and I am pumping gas between them.

Since I am using the gas in my boat, I still have to transfer it again into something I can carry or have a 35-40 foot fueling hose. (a tank like this has to be >25 feet from the water) I would also have the problem of this tank collecting water over time stale gas etc.. Since I am filling and emptying my jerry cans regularly, condensation is not an issue.

Reply to
gfretwell

Who is "we"? You fueling your wife's car at home? I don't care if you fuel your boat using 5-gallon jugs.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I've heard of other guys using portable cans to keep wife's car gassed up. Remember, this is the same Danny D who was going to set up as a water hauler for his neighborhood.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My uncle used to keep a 250-gallon tank of ag gas for his Poppin' Johnnies. It was on the highway, 100 yards up the road from the house. Delivery charges must have been reasonable because he had a big pickup and a flatbed and could easily have rigged a hoist. I'm sure companies still deliver ag gas, and they probably deliver road gas.

Reply to
J Burns

gfretwell wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 23:20:55 -0400:

I wasn't clear. The drum is bought new, and transported empty. Once in place on the concrete pan, it is filled from a delivery truck.

The problem, of course, is getting a truck to delivery 50 gallons of gas which is a puny amount for them.

The other option, of course, is to just empty the ten 5-gallon portable gas cans into the 50-gallon drums, so that the wife can fill the car from the electric pump on the 50-gallon drums.

That would be slightly easier than me siphoning the gas, which is what I do now (which is pretty easy so the electric pump isn't all that much an improvement on the process).

Reply to
Danny D.

Vic Smith wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 22:57:59 -0500:

Exactly. The wife can then fill her own car, but without having to drive to a gas station.

Reply to
Danny D.

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sat, 13 Sep 2014 09:04:21 -0400:

The neighbors solved their water problem with a new well.

Our *new* community problem is that the darn county is ripping up all the blue reflectors we had carefully epoxied into the middle of the road on the more dangerous curves, so that non-resident cars would stay to the side on blind curves.

Note: The road is too narrow for a center stripe so they won't paint it. (I also removed the names of the people in the pink slip of paper in this photo.)

Reply to
Danny D.

Why is the gas station such a problem for her?

Reply to
gfretwell

You dope! Those blue reflectors are to indicate the location of a fire hydrant. No wonder the county is ripping them up.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Well, she's driving something with a 50 gallon gas tank.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Blue is the wrong color but they would get ripped up regardless of color. Government does like this sort of action by regular people even when everything is done perfectly.

Reply to
Brent

OK a truck stop ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Government is also lazy. They might not remove other colors, but blue could cause firefighters to waste precious time looking for nonexistent hydrants.

Reply to
Pico Rico

They aren't lazy about this sort of thing. It's like union work. You better call in the electrician to change a light bulb or else.

Reply to
Brent