What type of "duct" tape for flex ducts?

Unfortunately, an earlier owner used an "octopus"-like maze of insulated flex duct on our heating system (which I hope one day to replace with nice, neat rigid duct work). Over time the outer plastic wrapper has separated from the underlying insulation near some of the junctions.

In the past I have always used metal tape to fix metal ducts and I am well-aware that regular 'duct' tape should be used for anyhing but ducts ;)

But what type of tape should I use on flex duct? The metal tape would look weird and probably wouldn't be flexible enough anyway.

I noticed that HD had a translucent-white style of 'duct' tape that was noted to be "extra heavy duty" and ideal for HVAC.

Would this type of tape be appropriate or is there some special flex duct tape I should be using?

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

The HD tape sounds ok. The big thing is to stop any air leaks and it sounds like a flexible tape is what you need. I would avoid any el- cheapo tape as that is likely to come unglued fairly soon. On the other hand, I wouldn't go for gold-plated tape if you are planning on redoing the piping sometime within the next 5 years or so.

Reply to
hrhofmann