What to use as a hinge fo

TheKidd:

T > I'm finishing off my basement. T > In one area of the basement I have a small bump out in the foundation where T > the front vestibule is built on. T > We use the space for storage of Christmas decorations and that sort. I T > thought it would be a cool idea to build a bookcase in front of the area T > that would hide the storage but give us access via a secret door. The area T > is 6'6" wide where the bookcase would be. I'm trying to figure out what T > kind of hinge I could use in order to have the bookcase swing out and gain T > access to the storage. T > I think what I'd do to lessen the weight is to split the bookcase into 2 T > doors that swing out. Probably also put wheels of some type under the T > bookcases to help in moving the doors as well as taking some of the weight T > off the hinges. T > Still, I haven't a clue as to what to use. Most of the hinges I've seen are T > for normal doors. I thought of using black pipe attached to the bookcase T > somehow and then figuring out some type of attachment that had a bearing T > mounted at each end going to the floor and ceiling but HD or Lowes doesn't T > have anything that I can put together. T > T > I was wondering if anyone out there has ever attempted doing something like T > this and had recommendations?

If I were to build that sort of bookcase I would probably use a piano hinge -- it's one continuous hinge rather than several individual hinges. I would also probably use caster(s) or some sort of roller to support the bottom -- of course that would definately leave tell-tale marks if there is carpeting.

A double-hung door (hung from both sides, opens from the middle) would lighten the load but may also make the seam more obvious.

Support of the far edge (opposite of the hinge) is important. The old shed here was a commercially-produced kit with two large hinges supporting a 4 foot wide door. IIRC 1x4 frame covered by pressboard. After several years we noticed the door was sagging.

  • October 8 - National Fluffernutter Day
Reply to
barry martin

Google "piano hinge".

-B

Just take a 1x3 or thereabouts and lay a nice profile on both sides, and fasten this to one side of the bookcase, so that when the case is closed, it hides the seam.

Reply to
mark

Also Google "toxic mold". The sort of stuff that can build up in an area where the humidity is over 55%, such as in a chamber such as the one described.

Reply to
Michael Baugh