what to do with leftover fuel oil?

Page 1 of 4

if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with the fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖

Sell it on CL.
Add pictures here
✖

Yeah, great. I can see it now... Some white trash redneck garbage picker with a few open plastic 5 gallon pails will spill half of it on the floor getting it out of the tanks and half of what's left carrying it up out of the basement.
If you advertise cheap/free oil on CL, you're not going to attract professionals to remove the old oil.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:17:43 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

It's actually done a lot and is about the best way to get rid of it without spending a lot of money. You may even get paid a little for the oil.
If you call "professionals", you are going to be unpleasantly surprised at what they tell you.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 26, 2:23 pm, snipped-for-privacy@mickymall.com wrote:

Ask the ones who did it how much of a mess the garbage pickers made tromping through their house in their muddy boots, swinging open pails of salvaged heating oil. Ask them how much Cletus and Jimbob spilled because they didn't have a pump, and tried to catch the oil out of the drain spigot with a bucket that wouldn't fit underneath.

You're going to have to call the profesionals anyway to clean up what the garbage pickers spill all over your house...
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:35:56 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

I think that you should call a professional and just pay whatever they want. Seems like that would be the best option for YOU.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/26/2010 2:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@mickymall.com wrote:

What would be the big surprise if they said "We can do it on Tuesday and we charge $65.00 "?
Add pictures here
✖

Personally, I'd be shocked. Please give me contact information for whatever company charges a flat fee of $65 for this.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:14:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mickymall.com wrote:

Well of course they deduct what they pay you for the oil.
Add pictures here
✖

Guess again.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:23:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mickymall.com wrote:

Don't keep us guessing. What is it you claim they will tell you?
OP call an oil company and they'll buy it from you, and pump it out from the outside of the house. Of course they won't pay retail for it, but no one will.
Add pictures here
✖

I see you have a high opinion of your fellow man. *snicker*
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Tom wrote:

If there's any quantity to speak of the distributor will take it.
If not, drain/empty it into 5-gal pail(s) and give/sell it to a neighbor who still uses oil.
✖

Advertise it on Craigs List. There are people who will come and take it for you. They might even pay you a small amount of money, but don't count on that. If you call an oil company to come get it, it will cost you more than you ever imagined. They will treat it as a hazardous waste cleanup.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/25/2010 1:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Or not, the hazardous waste moonsuit show only starts when the oil is spilled. If the oil is in the tank you can call an oil company they will send someone with a pump and they will pump it out.
Add pictures here
✖

Oh, you bet they will! And just wait to see what they charge. Oil that you bought for $2.79 a gallon will cost $4-10 a gallon for removal. If you have any notion that they will figure any value for the oil in what they charge, guess again. They will tell you that they cannot resell it, and it all goes to the recycler. You pay, all the way.
Get some estimates!
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Slightly different circumstances- but when I called my vendor to have my oil tank pumped so I could replace it, they pumped and gave me a credit for market price. They said they charged a flat fee for non-customers, but waived it for customers. [it was $40-50 IIRC]

That's the only way the OP will know.--- I'm in the 'list it on Craig's List and get out of the way' camp. Insist they take the tank with the oil.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/26/2010 10:01 AM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Done all of the time for <$100. Neighbor paid $60 last year.
Add pictures here
✖

Must depend on where you live.
Add pictures here