what to do with 4.5"x16"x16' spruce?

A neighbor has a garage full of barn salvaged spruce; 25 pieces measuring 4.5" x 16" x 16'. There are some nail holes on the sides and it is filthy; but two passes through my drum sander and it looks pretty good. It is straight and flat.
She will be moving and doesn't want to take it with her. In fact she doesn't want it at all; a boy friend talked her into buying it 20 years ago and then disappeared. She doesn't care what I do with it, she just wants me to get rid of it for her.
I figure it has to have value; geez, I've never even seen wood that size. But who would buy it? Any ideas? (Rochester NY...)
Put out a sign in the yard, maybe an add in the local Pennysaver - people will often buy this sort of thing for artsy projects and "antiqued" furniture, etc. Some people even make floors out of this. You should be able to sell it, do a little research online and asking around to see if you can figure out what it might be worth. Some people here may have an idea too.
Toller wrote:

Any woodworker would love to have that.
Toller wrote:

She's GIVING you this? Wow. Try www.craigslist.org (sp?). It's a free and widely-read online classifieds ad. You might consider giving her a fair share of the loot you haul in.

per BF but for the whole lot. The guy had bad luck and nobody that could use the stuff saw the auction.
I expect if I put it on Craigslist the same thing would happen; I would wind up selling the 2000bf for $100 or something. I have to find someone who actually uses stuff like this. Seems to me that if you actually need 16" wide or 4.5" thick stock, it ought to be worth $5 or $10/bf. But if you don't need it, it might be worth $0.05/bf; after all, each piece weights 250 pounds. Just ripping it would be difficult; forget about resawing it. Am I wrong about this? What does stuff like this sell for commercially? (if it is even available...)
And yes, I intend on giving her half. But it would be better to give her half of $10,000 than half of $100.
Toller wrote:

Craig's list isn't quite like e-bay. It's not an auction. You're not in a big hurry, are you? You might contact "vintage lumber" dealers and builders on the web to get a ball park estimate of what to ask for, although they may not be completely honest with you, as they're trying to get a good deal.
If you were nearby I'd give you $20 each. Those would be great for barn floor framing. But I'm halfway around the world and 3 lefts past the 5th right. However, if you can email them to me, I'd send a check ASAP. My monitor is 16" wide, so I'll put the monitor in front of the window so the boards go outside when they arrive. However, I will expect an email just before you send them or my window will be shut and it will break.
If you cant email them, find a farming newspaper and list them in there, or go to a local feed mill (where they sell livestock feed), or tack shop (where they sell horse supplies), and advertise them on the cork boards. Your other option would be to find a sawmill to make smaller boards, but in all honesty I think that would be a waste.
Then there is Ebay. Sell them for a buck a piece and charge $500.00 shipping and handling PER BOARD. This seems to be a common practice on Ebay lately anyhow. Sell the item cheap and then gouge the buyer on S&H.
Mark
------------------------

Selling it "as is" to someone that can use it may be best, but the market is limited, I'd think. If you have no luck with local dealers, try cutting it down. Chain saw if need be to 8' lengths and perhaps a Woodmizer mill to get it to more usable boards.
Other potential users are some post and beam framers? Worth a phone call or two.

How soon do you have to get rid of it?

You might want to offer this on the group
rec.woodworking
You will find a ready market thre, jus be sure to give our general location -- i.e. county and state.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
Toller wrote in message ...

There are lumberyards which specialize in salvaged, old wood. History Channel had a special on it within the last two(?) weeks. (Modern Marvels: Lumberyards I think)
They buy the wood as is, then upgrade if for specialty uses such as a wooden floors, walls or whatever.
Regards Old Al
ill help you get rid of some. rochester new york as well. and i have a truck :)

Toller wrote:

Google - Rochester timber framing: * Berkshire Contracting Inc. - 585 374-2830 * Riverbend Timber Framing - (585) 615-1576

afternoon though.