What to do AFTER pouring hot water into freezer?

I was getting water running into my top-freezer refrigerator, classic sign of a clogged drain hose. So I used the classic "easier than moving the refrigerator to access the drain hose" technique of emptying the bottom of the freezer and pouring some boiling water into the freezer.
Worked like a charm - water immediately started reaching the drip pan under the refrigerator, and I've stopped having water drip into the refrigerator compartment.
Of course, I now have about an eighth to a quarter inch of ice built up in the bottom of my freezer. What do I do: let it stay and just expect the defrost cycle to eliminate the ice, or get rid of the ice myself?

Turn it off, remove everything repeat with hot water until it drains. You might need some ammonia solution to cut the crud. then dry the sides and walls, restart and reload after a few minutes.
I usually use a hair dryer (well, actually my heat gun) to loosen up ice like this. And then turkey baster to remove the water.
--
Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

Hi,
Maybe try a hair dryer to soften up the ice slab ( careful of plastic and foam parts! ) and try to remove that ice in large pieces. The defrost cycle will only thaw the evaporator coils.
jeff.
I deiced the freezer by using several strategically-placed mugs of boiling water in it. They melted holes in the ice, and I could then lift and slide big sheets of ice out. A sponge and a couple paper towels completed the procedure. Probably the longest part of the operation was boiling the water.
Much neater and easier than a hair dryer and turkey baster, although I know that would have worked too.
I have another question farther down in alt.home.repair - I hope I get equally good answers on that!