Caulk still wet after 2wks?

I caulked some nail holes after replacing our baseboards two weeks ago and was planning to paint today, but the caulk is still tacky. Why is it taking so long to dry? Carlton.

Reply to
Carlton Whitmore

Some types of caulk are designed to not dry out for 20 years, it would depend on what you used

Reply to
SQLit

Not likely! You may be thinking of putty which remains soft, but isn't tacky.

Sounds like the caulk was old. It's happened to me. Just scrape it off & do it with a new tube.

Reply to
Betsy

nail holes should be filled with glazing putty. caulking is for inside corners.

it sounds like your caulking has been frozen and thawed.

Reply to
3GCPO

I had a similar problem with a tube of GE caulk that had been on the shelf for a few years. It just wouldn't "set".

If the caulk is not newly purchased, it might be a good idea to squirt a little on a piece of cardboard to see if it will set. The stuff can be the devil to remove depending on the application.

Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Of course this will work.

However painters putty is generally used for filling nail holes. Glazing putty is usually used for windows, it dries harder.

Reply to
Truitt Bottsford III