What the hell just happened?

I just downloaded all the new headers in the groups I subscribe to and there were a shit load of "New" headers that were several years old. These "New" messages were dated 2009 through today. My filters worked as they were suppose to, but still there were thousands that were shown as "New."

I'm guessing it was my news server "Newsguy" that may have had a brain cramp. Did anyone else have this happen today?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Not here (giganews with Agent)

Reply to
gfretwell

Why do think something is wrong? It *is* 2009.

Isn't it?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Maybe your newsrc file is corrupted.

Reply to
badgolferman

According to Juimmy Buffet it's always "5 oclock somewhere" so perhaps you are right - - -

Reply to
clare

My newsfeed went down a few weeks ago, and one by one over a period of days my subscribed groups came back alive. All with "new" headers.

Reply to
taxed and spent

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, that's next year.

Reply to
rbowman

Newsguy upgraded their servers. Instructions were sent out via email to their customers regarding what was coming and when. Evidently yours got lost in the ether.

One of the features of the upgrade was the increased retention.

Reply to
Laine

Maybe you do, but not me. I never make a mistake.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

According to Newsguy support:

"With your NNTP newsreader you would need to flush all the header information and reload the message lists for your subscribed newsgroups. The article numbering had changed up and that should get your newsreader back in sync with the news server. If you had any questions please let us know."

Once I Followed their instructions life is wonderful again.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I heard they rebased their article numbering. All providers do that every now and again as required.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I load latest first but sometimes, maybe due to my errant typing, I get them in order of last first and have to go back and change the view.

Reply to
Frank