What sort of pad with Berber carpet?

We are putting a lot of new Berber carpet; some of it in heavy traffic areas. They offer a choice of foam or felt. My wife wants the foam because it will be cushier, but I have the sense that the felt will last longer. But then, neither really knows anything about carpet. Is one better than the other?
Consumer Reports always used to recommend felt but I've always use foam and when my cat vomits some how I think I'm better off cleaning wise. Some places have particular foam made for berber but I have no idea whether it makes a differenrce. Berber basically lasts forever.

we just got berber installed. They included the "odor-Eater" pad. Wonderful feeling stuff...for now. I'll let you know in 5 years how it works out