What size for a kitchen pantry? And what height for a desk?

Hi. I renovated my kitchen last year, but still don't feel that I have enough cabinet space. I've decided to add a full-height pantry in an available corner. I'm just not sure how big it should be? I've got enough room, given the size of the corner and the distance to the nearest doorway, to make a pantry that's about 4' square. I was going to make it a neo-angle shape, if that makes sense to anybody. Is this big enough? Are there any design resources available online that anybody knows about? Any suggestions?

Also, I'm going to run a desk alongside the pantry (something about having the kid's computer out in the open). What's the standard height for a desk?

Thanks for any and all help.

Cheers.

Maurice

Reply to
maurice

Walk-in, or all shelves? It's a little small for a walk in pantry, but if it's that deep, you won't be able to reach the back of it, so you're going to want all roll-out shelves/trays on seriously robust hardware. Or fill the thing with a 4' diameter, 7' tall carousel, which will jam about twice a month.

Reply to
Goedjn

Desk height is 29"

The pantry can never be too big. 4' deep though is too deep for shelves. If you can, make a "U" shaped shelf around the perimeter so you can have access. There may be some shelving units that you can buy with slides, but the pre-made stuff is usually very expensive.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for the responses. I have a tough time visualizing these things, but it seemed to me that 4' would be too small for a true walk-in, but the U-shaed shelves are likely a good idea. I'm thinking I might use the basket-type wire shelves in order to improve light and make it a bit easier to clean.

I'll likely avoid any expensive hardward like heavy-duty sliders; part of the reason to build it this way is to save money versus custom cabinetry - I'm handy enough to put up a few walls, drywall them, and hang a door, but not up to doing my own cabinet-making.

I might also hit a few show-homes to measure their pantries, and see if a 4' one is worthwhile...

Reply to
maurice

I was going to suggest roll out shelves on heavy duty, full extension rollers with the shelves build as torsion boxes to withstand the load. Since you want to do a lower budget design I'd say that your U-shaped design is abut the best bet. If you look nto the wire shelf roll-outs your eyeballs will fall out of your head. You could always upgrade in the future if you find that the 'U' design is insufficient for your needs. Heck, you could do this a shelf or two at a time as the checkbook allows.

Reply to
C & E

Build a 16" deep bookcase. Then build two more 16" deep bookcases, screw them back to back, put them on rollers, and pin the outer corner to the floor and ceiling. Remember that the corner opposite the hinge-pins will need to be eased quite a bit to clear whatever is limiting you to four feet in that direction.

Reply to
Goedjn

These are good suggestions. Thanks.

Is there any literature available with design suggesti>

Reply to
maurice

Reply to
nospambob

There are books and magazines devoted just to storage. When I helped ready a friend's new home for her to move into, I found all of the wire shelving was dirty and sticky. The home was otherwise quite clean. Have never had wire shelves myself.

Standard desk height is 30". If you are comfortable with a higher or lower desk, can certainly adjust.

When we remodeled our kitchen, I really liked the idea of roll out shelves, but we didn't have the right arrangement. If you calculate the available shelf space in roll-outs, you might find that floor to ceiling shelves on two walls of your space give you more storage than the roll-outs. Could suggest more specifics if you know what you want to use it for.

Appliance rollers work quite nicely, are low profile and not very expensive.

Reply to
Norminn