What's up with GE kitchen appliences?

Page 1 of 3
I bought a $40 GE brand coffee percolator from Walmart last summer. It seemed to work fine at first, but then after about 8 months it would no longer perk coffee?? It would basically just heat the water and I would have to pour the hot water then through the grounds to make the coffee. It got pretty frustrating. Then I looked online for GE coffee percolator reviews (a Walmart site) and lo and behold a majority of users had the same problem with this coffee maker. Luckily I still had the booklet and sales receipt and discovered that GE has a full 2 year warranty. It states to just take it back to Walmart and either get a new unit or your money back. So I took it back and got my money back. At first the Walmart person said they only go back 6 months for store returns but I told her to look in the book and so she took it back. Then I decided to buy a kitchen blender so again I went to Walmart and of all the ones there on display the best looking and sturdiest looking one was a GE brand. I looked in the booklet it came with and again it had a full 2 year warranty same as the coffee maker so I got it. So far, it has worked ok but for funzies I looked on line for GE brand blender reviews (same Walmart site) and again most people wound up bringing that same blender back for a refund due to "problems." I going to keep my receipt, booklet, and packaging materials handy for the full two years if I keep it that long..... I don't know how GE can stay in business with such a great warranty but piss poor appliances? Has anyone here had any similar experiences with GE brand appliances? Sorry this was so lenghty... Steve
Steve wrote:

Maybe it's part of the deal GE has with Iran?
yep-GE ain't what it used to be.
Steve wrote:

Maybe it's part of the deal GE has with Iran?

Many years ago I worked for GE and they had good appliances. But because of the IRAN dealings I boycott their products. WW

GE sold their small appliance lines off a number of years ago. Electronics went to Thomson. Don't recall who bought their kitchen stuff. Part of the deal allowed the buyer to use the GE brand.
They recently tried to sell off their large appliance line but couldn't find anyone to buy it.

About 6 years ago, bought a side-by-side frig. It made ONE batch of ice and craped out. The whole thing cratered. That was my last GE product. Where you spend your money....

Look at the box Made i n China ???

Everything is China made now, and quality control is like how they have poisoned foods, it doesnt exist. So return the junk unit. Life is different now.

*I thought that the GE small appliance division was bought by Black and Decker several years ago.

Well it appears whatever is left of GE is going under and likely will not come back to life. It would be a great time to buy stock, if you want some. I seem to recall it was under 3 cents US at the last count.

It is about $7.50 right now. Warren Buffet paid $16 a couple of months ago.

So again, how can GE remain in business if they keep that 2 year full return warranty if they keep getting their "junk" returned? I guess if they do go out, their warranty would be considered "junk" too?!
Steve wrote:

GE is LOT more than an appliance company.

GE is a bank. The appliances and engines are just the premiums they handed out to get new customers.

considered "successful" american companies over the last 2 decades are nothing more than a financial shell game. Like many others of their ilk they have no right or expectation to survive in the "new economy".
Even Warren got fooled, so don't feel TOO bad.

Yep, same as the entire US economy..
Mark
So again, how can GE remain in business if they keep that 2 year full return warranty if they keep getting their "junk" returned? I guess if they do go out, their warranty would be considered "junk" too?!
I don't know if GE is still GE for appliances (or B & D who bought them). Most is made in China stuff that probably cost 50 to make so they can afford to toss some. I imagine a lot of people don't bother taking the $7 toaster back but just get a new one.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

And that is why they can get away with selling junk to people. We have become so conditioned to throwing things away that demanding quality in the first place doesn't register with the majority of people, let alone buying good quality items in the first place and fixing them when they wear out.
Jon

So what brand should I be looking at, if not GE, that has an equally good warranty and actually does make a high quality product that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (i.e. not over about $100)? I guess I only paid about $30 for this GE piece of crap but I would be willing to go double or up to triple that for something decent. I don't want or need anything high tech..... Just one that I can rely on to work every day as well as the day I bought it (at least up to the end of the warranty period) and is fairly easy to clean and care for. I guess that's all I ask for anything I buy....... Thanks! Steve

Therin lies the problem with our society. You want quality but you are unwilling to pay for it, and you are unwilling do live without a blender. What do you use a blender for? How often do you use a blender? I think my parents have three that they acquired over the years as gifts. We made a few milkshakes with them when I was a kid and they were new. They got stashed away in the back of the cabinet and haven't seen the light of day in decades. I've got a blender that I have NEVER used. Not once.
Do you really need a blender? That's what you should be asking.