What's the trick to mowing grass on a steep hill with a gas push mower

Page 1 of 4

What's the trick for mowing a half-football field sized steep slope with a gas push mower?
I need to mow the steep hill at the side of my house which is overgrown with tall grasses and weeds. It looks like half a football field on its side, with the shorter distance being the fall line.
I don't know the degrees but it's hard to walk along the slope, mostly due to the unconsolidated soil and the slope; but it's possible to walk it; but with a mower, things get harder fast.
When I tried to mow down the fall line, it was way too hard as I accelerated down and couldn't pull the mower up (and kept falling down, which doesn't seem safe).
When I tried to mow across the fall line, I could barely hold the line to cut a swath but it was always a steep diagnal. Gravity pulled the mower so that it actually moved at a 45 degree angle to my sidewise motion, which itself was something less than straight across the fall line due to the slope.
I thought of tying a rope to the handle and letting gravity mow straight down the fall line; but it might be difficult to pull the running mower back up.
Before I try something stupid, I figured I'd ask you guys if you've solved the problem of trying to mow with a gas push mower (it's all I have) on a steep slope.
Add pictures here
✖
In forth:

Hire a Mexican<eg>
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:46:48 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

They'd still need to mow the lawn.
I noticed thick white smoke when I was mowing on the hill ... any idea what that can be from? It's a craftsman 25" or so 4-stroke push type.
I wonder if I can find a moveable winch that I can put at the top of the slope to mow consequitive stripes down the fall line until the approximately 200 or 300 feet long by 100 to 150 feet wide slope is fully mowed.
Any suggestions?
Add pictures here
✖

The white smoke is oil getting past the rings as the motor is tipped over.
Walk across the slope and never let the mower get above you. Best move is to plant a ground cover that does not need mowing. Just let it go natural.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 11, 1:35 am, Elmo <dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

Doesnt thick white smoke mean anything to you? You are ruining your motor, you cant do it with a 4 stroke you are starving it of oil, it going to fry, They only possible way is a 2 stroke lawnboy. Since 2 stroke is no longer made, a used one. But I have a hill like that and a mowing it with a mower nearly killed me many times, push the mower up and slip and it comes running down on you, walk it down and you will still slip on a wet patch. A weed wacker is better, but I just planted ground cover and plants and said screw mowing it, a dangerous pain in the ass. Around here the State stopped using small 4 strokes on steep highway areas, they went Lawnboy because the 4 strokes didnt last 1 year. Now that 2 strokes are no longer made I guess its weed wacker for areas they used small mowers
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 04:03:46 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:

I was afraid of that which is why I asked.
I wonder at what angle a lawnmower can no longer handle slopes.
I know cars are more complicated, but they can handle slopes ... and airplanes too ... so there must be something in a (slope) lawnmower that keeps the oil moving at angles.
Add pictures here
✖
Elmo wrote:

Blowing smoke may be better than blowing none. At least the rings are getting oil. Who knows about the crank and the rest of the insides.
Add pictures here
✖

You should feel silly for not reading your owner's manual, in which it clearly tells you which way the mower can be tipped for maintenance purposes. Extrapolate from there....
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:20:33 +0000 (UTC), Elmo

The GOOD lawnmowers with oil filters stand a chance because they have an oil pump and full pressure lubrication. 2 strokes stand up even better - much as I hate the noisy stinky critters.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 11, 1:54 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I vote for the diagonal cutting, the OP needs to figure out how to go uphill at 45 degrees, the downhill will take care of itself. Wildflowers is a much better answer.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 11, 10:20 am, Elmo <dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

I honestly stopped cutting mine, its to dangerous, slipping on muddy areas and having the lawnmower come back to your feet while its running, I knew eventualy my mistakes would cost me big, I went the weedwacker route, then I terraced and planted plants. Get a 50 lb bag of black oil sunflower seed, and have sunflowers.
Add pictures here
✖
ransley wrote:

I like that idea, and so would my neighborhood birds and squirrels. But alas, for my problem area in the front yard, my neighbors would shoot me, and my topsoil is so thin and crappy they are unlikely to grow unless I dumped a thousand bucks of potting soil out and spread it around. Township would likely call them 'noxious weeds' as well, and send Bubba and his bush-hog by, and add it to my tax bill.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
aemeijers wrote:

A little creative landscaping might eliminate the need for mowing AND be something to admire...sounds like a dangerous place to try to mow. In my OR days, I saw quite a few people with mower injuries...always by mower rolling back and grabbing some toes.
I did quite a bit of refining of the landscaping around our condo where downspouts formerly washed out a lot of soil. Small areas, gradual grades, but had been a real eyesore.
Add pictures here
✖

I was almost a customer several times, you slip, mower moves by itself.
Add pictures here
✖
ransley wrote: (snip)

Oh, I keep a close eye on the mower, and have never even had a close call with it. The low-hanging branches and the damn ground bees have nailed me a few times, though. Not much to be done about the bees, other than kill the colony if I spot them first. But I really need to get out the pruners and the toy electric chainsaw, and get medieval on those trees. I can cut dead branches fine, but I feel guilty cutting blooming ones- always afraid the tree will up and die on me (these trees are in pretty sad shape), and if I cut when the leaves aren't out, I'm never sure how much the branches will droop when fully loaded.
--
aem sends, glad he finished up mowing last night, since it is
August-muggy out there right now...
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:19:27 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:

Terracing is probably the best idea, long term.
Short term I just want to mow it. I'll try the 45° idea on the weekend and report back.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 04:03:46 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Yea, 2 stroke weed wackers.
Add pictures here
✖
Elmo wrote:

That's why I was going to suggest. Put a winch on your ATV or lawn tractor and lower and raise the push mower with the cable.
--
LSMFT

✖

Goat(s)!
Probably cost more, but will do a better job. Taste good, too.
nb
Add pictures here
✖
Many years ago I had a summer job mowing the grass and other grounds maintenance at a large apartment complex. We used the rope method on some of the steep hills there. If you decide to push the mower accross the slope, don't drag it backwards; make sure you actually turn it around so the opposite side is facing downhill from time to time. Most push mowers do not have very sophistcated lubrication systems and prolonged use with one side downhill can damage the engine. I remember seeing one catch on fire from overheating.

✖