what's the reason?

I notice the home portable generator sets have warnings to not let the unit get wet. What is the risk of getting wt?
I suppose it has to do with the open frame generators that are prevalent now. Theory being that water intrustion would cause arcs and sparks, and they would self destruct as a result of internal shorts.
Is this what it is?
RB wrote:

What much else could it be?

Shock, electrocution maybe?

Lawyers If someone was fooling with this in the rain and got killed their family would sue the company. Same reason they have labels saying not to use the hair dryer in the shower