What's the diff between marble tile and marble w/ resin tile?

Hey guys, was looking at the various tiles to figure out which one I wanted as a bathroom floor. (I understand granite is the way to go for durability, but humor me for a moment.)
Contractor's Warehouse has marble tile. It's thick; maybe 5/8-inch. Lowe's has a marble tile similar in appearance. It's thinner at 1/2-inch, but it's about a third the price and is listed as marble chunks held together with resin.
Is the resin treatment sheerly a cost savings measure or is the resin there to help make the tile resistant to etching and/or soaking?
Miki Kanazawa wrote:

The resin is there to hold together the little pieces of marble...take scraps of marble, mix with resin, cast into squares, voila! "marble" tile.