What's better than Windex?

Page 2 of 2
on 8/9/2007 4:07 PM Cheri said the following:

When I was a kid (b. 1937), my mother used a vinegar and water mix and cleaned with regular newspaper. This was before any commercial window cleaners were available. It still works pretty good.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

i wouldn't recommend the razor. the final cleanup crew on my house used that, and left large scratches, and since they were lawsuit-proof, i am still looking at the scratches and cursing.
On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 14:34:29 -0700, "SteveB"

Vinegar will remove the hard water deposits. Now if the window/glass are etched by the deposit of calcium - forget it.
Vinegar and elbow grease cleans the over spray of irrigation on our vehicles. I wish desert rain would not deposit dirt on my fresh washed ride :-))
-- Oren

Tried 'em all and found Zep Window cleaner, sold in Home Depot the best.

When in doubt, Dow Scrubbing Bubbles. Spray it on in a thin layer and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, wipe it down. This is not for regular window cleaning but for a really bad case.
nancy
"---MIKE---" wrote I am a rather lazy house keeper and have not done my outside windows for many years. Today, in order to better view the hummingbirds, I tried to get the grime off of one of the windows. I tried SIX times with Windex and some of the grime remains. Is there anything stronger than Windex?
===You've already gotten lots of good advice so I just thought I'd mention that almost anything is better than Windex. It's a lousy window cleaner. I can't imagine how it has lasted so long on the market. (I use 409 Glass & Surface cleaner--the purple stuff. Perfection in a bottle.)
On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 13:33:19 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

If there is that much grime on the windows, mix
1 gallon warm water 1 cup household ammonia 1 T. dishwashing liquid (Dawn)
Use a sponge or brush with plastic bristles, rinse. Then use Windex. Wait until the windows are in the shade.