What's a great way to clean surface of new stainless steel fridge - keeps rusting!

This is a new Kitchenaid 'built-in' look stainless steel surfaced fridge. The mfgr recommended some brand of SS Cleaner carried at Walmart, but Walmart doesn't carry it, nor any of the stores nearby.

I use distilled water on all the GE appliances and they come out spotless for months. I don't use DI on this fridge, because this @#$#@ fridge keeps developing a sheen of brown rust! Some stainless steel, eh?

I recently have been using Wynne(sp?) treated towellettes that seem to work a bit, for about 5 days.

Anybody recommend something that actually makes the SS look good AND prevents this rusting? ...and easy to use.

PS: in Arizona with 5-10% humidity, and it's winter with heating so more like ZERO, rusting is not likely to be caused by a 'damp' environment.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Stainless steel does not rust. If your stuff is rusting, you were cheated.

To clean most anything , just equal parts, water, white vinegar and rubbing alcohol.

Reply to
philo

Some SS does depends on the make up on the various metals used in the formation

Reply to
NotMe

On 01/06/2014 01:47 PM, NotMe wrote: X

If it had less than 12% chromium I suppose it could rust but I believe it would be illegal to market it as stainless steel.

It could be a defective batch.

I have a rather inexpensive stainless steel sink and I am quite negligent when it comes to cleaning it... in the 25 years I've had it there has never been one iota of rust on it.

Reply to
philo

The one time I worked on a cooler with stainless sides, I disfigured the finish with refrigeration coil cleaner. I called the company, and they suggested mineral "baby" oil and a soft cloth. It didn't satisfy the customer, who was playing a stiff game of NIGYSOB. But, it sure did look a lot better than before.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would use Brasso or chrome polish and a rag.

Reply to
KLayton888

Stop. The original poster said, in a sort of convoluted way, stainless 'look'. I have a Whirlpool stainless look fridge (same company now) and it is basically painted to look like SS. I doubt that it is rust. It's probably cooking or tobacco deposits.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Good catch. No way could SS rust unless it was a defective batch.

Reply to
philo

I agree. There are fridges being sold today that have a stainless steel "look" via some coating process, but are not really stainless steel. They do actually describe it in the product specs, but you have to read it carefully.

And if it's rusting, I don't think it's a "cleaning" issue. I guess you could coat it with some wax type of product, which might help. But if you have a surface that can rust, I don't see how what you clean it with is going to make a difference, unless it leaves some kind of protective coating behind.

I'd suggest first checking the product specs and finding out what it actually says it's made of. Then if he can't find the product the manufacturer recommends, take a look at what other manufacturers of similar fridges recommend.

Reply to
trader4

"A.T." noticed that it was apparently a SS "look". Hope others here take that as a warning.

My wife did not like the refrigerator I had purchased prior to her moving in here, so I told her to "buy one yourself then"

As she did with the oven and microwave, she bought all new appliances!

She wisely opted for a black, wrinkle finish that does not show fingerprints. I think that in the last three years I dusted off the top once and that was it as far as cleaning.

Reply to
philo

I can guarantee that EVERY SS I've worked with will rust, just a matter of degree as to how much.

I've even had an expensive thick SS kitchen sink get a hole through it!

Reply to
RobertMacy

Hmmmm... I know oil makes it look good since it 'fills' I once tried olive oil [this is in the kitchen] but it seemed to oxidize a bit.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Depends on the amount of chromium in the alloy. And oxygen must be present to prevent "rusting" with stainless steel.

Reply to
harryagain

If it hasn't been mentioned before:

The best way to clean a stainless steel is not to buy one in the first place. It is hardly news to anyone that Stainless steel appliances are a _very_ high maintenance item compared to enamel finish.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

What he said, except that *some* stainless steel apparently does rust, depending on the amount of iron in it.

Anyway, what works on my stainless steel shelving from Costco is pool acid.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Is it the Chromium? Or the Iron that rusts?

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Hear, hear!! Actually, I fear, high maintenance compared to ANYTHING!

I second second and third your comment, but alas, have to match all the other @#$#$@!@#^!!! appliances.

Don't even get me started on SS sinks!

All this stuff comes under the heading, "What were they thinking?!"

Reply to
RobertMacy

It's the Chromium that makes it stainless steel.

Reply to
krw

Not necessarily. Some SS is magnetic.

I suppose it depends on what you're paying for a 'fridge. I *expect* high quality SS if that's what I'm paying for. I certainly don't expect it to rust. Ever.

Reply to
krw

only non magnetic stainless wouldnt rust.

if ts magnetic it can rust.

many machines I service use stainless, or did till the bean counters got to the design

Reply to
bob haller