What's a good older washing machine brand/model?

Page 3 of 3

John Ross wrote:

My parent's 1980s Whirlpool had a self-cleaning filter. It looked like a bong with a wide base and was located near the bottom of the machine.
Doc wrote:

What do they charge?
You can buy a bare bones new whirlpool for $179 at Lowes, it only has one knob and maybe 4 cycles, simple as dirt.
Private owners usually sell used ones for $50.
Hard to say what brands are the best, many manufacturers were bought out, so roper is whirlpool, admiral and maytag are the same, etc
bungalow snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have GE Heavy duty top loader washer thats been running 33 years. I repaired the timer once, replaced the pump once, and repired a split hose once. It uses the reversing motor design mentioned above.
Mark
you might be able to find a stripped Roper made for landlords new cheap enuf to beat the used ones you are looking at. Noisy and low on features but go forever.

Doc wrote:

Get a Speed Queen commercial washer if you want the toughest of the tough. I bought some used ones and they went for about ten more years after the initial 23 years prior to my purchase of them. Extremely east to maintain, but they will rarely break under home use.
Simple to a fault. Three switches, one for Hot/Warm/Cold water, one for Normal/Permanent Press/Delicate, and one Push-On. No timer dial.
"http://www.speedqueen.com/route/adv_pdf/am05-204.pdf "
Often available used from industrial and military sources, though they often sell them in lots.
I'd look at CraigsList.org for used home machines. Usually they sell for around $50-75 for a good Whirlpool model.
My GE purchased to do my diapers died about age 40:( motor developed a internal short I couldnt get motor and felt bad when garbageman took it away. my hamilton gas dryer was older than that it was bought at the beginging of the second world war and died around 1995.
my 1990 dodge caravan got retired recently with about 400,000 miles on it.
such things are possible but unusual in todays throiw away society
In forth:

When mine broke down, I called my repairman friend and he told me to buy Roper. He said they run forever.
: I'm probably going to have to get another washing machine since my ancient : Hotpoint has munched a seal and lubricant is leaking out. : : A local appliance shop has a number of refurb'd top loader washers of : various brands - Roper, Maytag, Kenmore, Kitchenaide, Whirlpool, RCA, GE. : The ones they had on display ranged from decent in appearance to virtually : new looking. Supposedly they've all been gone through. Probably ranging from : 5 - 20 years old. Those that had model names visible were Kitchenaide Quiet : Care, Superba. Kenmore Quiet Pak Plus. Whirlpool Ultimate Care Heavy Duty. : : What's a good older brand or line within a brand that's known for tough, : dependable construction and also being repair friendly? Any to definitely : avoid? Any features that I should look for? I tend to go for simple, on the : theory that there's less to go wrong. : : Thanks for all input. : : : I have a set of GE that have been refurbished and the only thing that was in need at that time was a thorough cleaning. Love the lint filter, easy to clean, love the simple-ness of it. All of my kids learned to use it when they were between 7 - 9 so pretty simple to use. They are approximately 30 years old now and since the refurbish<cleaning> I have only had to replace a belt once in the washer and repair a leaky hose. Minor and cheap repairs. Quiet running as well, that is always a bonus depending on where you have them set up in your home. JM2C ~KK in BC~
My old, low-end Maytag washer and drier have been going strong since 1996. BUT Maytag is a different company these days and I would not buy their products today.
Doc wrote:

I concur, my old Maytag washer lasted 24 yrs with one repair which I did myself for $70 in parts.
--
Chainyanker

I've been buying frigidaire and whirlpool appliances for many years. Now frigidaire is electrolux, but . . .
Of the brands you listed, I'd go with the whirlpool, and nothing else is even close. About 15 years ago, we bought a whirlpool top load washer/dryer set. When it was a few years old, it was moved to another house. When it was 10 years old, it was moved again. This time, the movers goofed and bounced the washer down the stairs trying to get it into the basement. It seemed to suffer NO damage at all, other than some bad scratches and a couple of dents. We used them for a couple more years, then gave them to a guy who was unemployed and his washer just died on him. They are still going strong. Since we bought them (and to this day) they are averaging 4-5 loads of laundry a week. WOW. Moved three times, once very roughly. What more can you say? -Dave
Doc Wrote: > I'm probably going to have to get another washing machine since my > ancient

We had a Hotpoint for 22 years. It went through 2 motors, a set of brushes and a door seal in that time. The door seal gave up the ghost a month ago and I could find no-one who stocked spare ones. So it had to be replaced.
Went for a Hotpoint again. Superb. The quietest machine I've heard. Excellent wash and no 'walking across the floor' when it spins.
--
pebe

If you can find a GE heavy duty it will last forever. Mine lasted longer than 25 years. It still may be running as I gave it away.