What's a good older washing machine brand/model?

Page 2 of 3

You and I both know that manufacturers often sell products that they did not produce themselves. Chevy right now sells an economy car manufactured by Daewoo. I believe they call it the Chevy Aveo?
The problem though, is that most people think of a brand as a company. If you buy the Chevy Aveo for example, you might not know that it's a Daewoo. But if you bought it thinking it was a Chevy, that's OK, as Chevy is a real brand of automobiles.
The problem with thinking of Kenmore as a brand is, Kenmore does not make one single appliance. If half of the "Kenmore" stuff was made by a company called "Kenmore" and the rest of the "Kenmore" stuff was made by a mix of frigidaire/electrolux, whirlpool, kithenaid, maytag, etc . . . then it would be correct to say that Kenmore was a brand.
But to call "Kenmore" a brand when they don't make even ONE appliance is (at best) misleading. Kenmore is a label, not a brand. -Dave

You can make up or adopt whatever usage you want, but by dictionary definition, Kenmore is obviously a brand name, the one under which Sears sells appliances (the caps are mine).
"a word, name, symbol, etc., esp. one legally registered as a trademark, used by a manufacturer OR MERCHANT to identify its products distinctively from others of the same type and usually prominently displayed on its goods, in advertising, etc.

Yes, Mike is right. Think about the Craftsman name for example. Just today I bought a pair of 1/2 hp electric garage door openers at Sears with the Craftsman label. There IS NO CRAFTSMAN COMPANY that actually manufactures these machines! Chamberlain makes them, but their name is not on the label.
The BRAND that you talk about is actually irrelevant in this discussion because the OP was asking about manufacturers. Kenmore is not an appliance manufacturer: Whirlpool and Kitchenaid and who knows who else makes their appliances. So, learn who makes the specific Kenmore models you're interested in.

Actually, the brand does have some bearning. When Sears goes to whomever for a Kenmore washer, they specify the features and price. The manufacturer decides whether they will substitute a plastic part for a metal part. So even if Whilrpool makes it, it may not be to the same quality as their own brand.
KLS wrote:

It was always that way with every single Sears-branded product they sold. Moreover, the actual manufacturer, who built the product to meet Sears' specifications, varied from year to year, presumably based on price.
When I worked there (1958-1960) their towels were made by Fieldcrest and Martex, both respectable manufacturers.

And Whirlpool probably outsources their stuff to Taiwan or Bangladesh or Myanmar.
--
Cheers, Bev
===================================
Doc wrote:

Of older models I would pick the Maytag, It has the fewer moving parts than any I know of. Primarily its operation is based on its reversable motor. Motor turns one direction it washes, motor turns oposite direction it spins dry. No solenoids or gear shifts, just a motor and drive shaft..I had a 1950 model that washed weekly for 41 years before it gave any trouble. Hard to beat that.
Jack wrote:

41 years!!! Did you enter it into any sweepstakes like "the oldest appliance still running" where you get a whole new kitchen or sumpin? :)
Seerialmom wrote:

No because I knew of some Maytags still going that were older. Heck today I toast my bread in a two slice ToastMaster that was put in service in May of 1941 and has toasted an average of two slices practically everyday since. How many loaves is that? It still looks new and does a perfect job. But there are older out there.
Jack wrote:

I'll have to get me one of those new-fangled toasters one day. At my age, I'm losing the manual dexterity to flip the toast slices over to get both sides done.
Rob
Jack wrote:

That makes my 60's era Sunbeam self-lowering toaster a teenager then! :) Yours will likely outlast 100's of $10 toasters out there.
Jack wrote:

The old Maytags were good. You might look around for one like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
sDkGNxWOA

Have always had great luck with Kenmore. If all Whirlpool products are anything like out dishwasher, I wouldn't touch anything that says Whirlpool again! Pure junk!!!
C. Massey wrote:

Who manufactures Kenmore? Last I knew it was Whirlpool. Now Whirlpool makes the Maytag.in Mexico.

They are *one* of the manufactures for Kenmore. When I worked for Sears a couple of years back, they had several manufactures make the Kenmores.

Kenmore has many manufacturers, probably 3 or 4 manufacturers make their washer/dryer sets alone. I DO know that various "Kenmore" labelled appliances are made by electrolux/frigidaire and whirlpool. But those aren't the only manufacturers making appliances labelled "Kenmore". LG (Goldstar) also makes "Kenmore" labelled crap. -Dave

Sheesh, how many times do I have to explain this? THERE IS NO SUCH BRAND AS KENMORE!!! There is no company called "Kenmore" that manufactures appliances. Kenmore is a line of appliances made by many different appliance manufacturers. SOME are good, some aren't. If you've had good luck with Kenmore, it was just LUCK, as you had no fricking clue what you were actually buying, when you bought that (whatever) that was LABELLED "Kenmore". If you are going to buy "Kenmore", you might as well roll the dice to decide what brand you want, as that is exactly what you are oing. -Dave
Doc wrote:

I checked the forums at two appliance websites, www.fixitnow.com and www.applianceaid.com (tons of repair information at both), and they seem to speak well of the top-loading Whirlpools with conventional agitators (both belt and direct drive versions) and no electronic controls. Whirlpool has been sold under several brands, including Roper, Kitchenaid, Estate, Kenmore (Sears, but not all Kenmores are Whirlpools), and Kirkland (Costco). The direct-drive models seem to be easier to work on because the whole cabinet comes off sort of easily..

The old GE top loaders have the best lint filter. For what it's worth, I have an older Maytag and a direct drive Whirlpool. They both work well, however the Whirlpool makes the clothes cleaner. Very noticeable on whites. But it has a crappy lint filter that's between the inner and outer tub. Wonder what genius thought that one up? Have to remove the agitator and inner tub to clean it:(
Al
Big Al wrote:

I am afraid to say this, but I have never heard of a lint filter on a washing machine!
I have a Kenmore that is 19 years old (did have to replace motor 5 years ago). Anyway, in my defense, the couple of times a repairman came, I watched and asked questions. Once was a Sears promotional "check up" where they checked it over. I watched him and asked qestions. He never said anything about a lint filter or cleaned one.
Do all washers have these? From your description it seems maybe this isn't necessarilly set up like a dryer (where it is obviously set up for user), but maybe more for servicing (i.e. you have to remove something to get to it)? Where should I look and what would it look like?
-- John
John Ross wrote:

I'm no expert, but I think that they do, and many are self-cleaning filters. In my parents' 1980s vintage Whirlpool it's a plastic bong with a wide base and located near the bottom. In our year-old Whirlpool/Kenmore I think it's a ring screen under the agitator.