What's a good older washing machine brand/model?

I'm probably going to have to get another washing machine since my ancient Hotpoint has munched a seal and lubricant is leaking out.

A local appliance shop has a number of refurb'd top loader washers of various brands - Roper, Maytag, Kenmore, Kitchenaide, Whirlpool, RCA, GE. The ones they had on display ranged from decent in appearance to virtually new looking. Supposedly they've all been gone through. Probably ranging from

5 - 20 years old. Those that had model names visible were Kitchenaide Quiet Care, Superba. Kenmore Quiet Pak Plus. Whirlpool Ultimate Care Heavy Duty.

What's a good older brand or line within a brand that's known for tough, dependable construction and also being repair friendly? Any to definitely avoid? Any features that I should look for? I tend to go for simple, on the theory that there's less to go wrong.

Thanks for all input.

Reply to
Doc

"Doc" wrote in news:JKa0h.296$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

No electronic parts to fail. Minimal moving parts to fail. Only a rock has a lower MTBF.

Al Bundy

I've had no problems with Kenmore Heavy Duty models; in fact the pair I had that were 11 years old were going strong when I gave them to a young/needy couple. I fell for the lure of high energy efficiency in a Kenmore He3 pair (plus no payments/interest for a year...which I paid off beforehand of course). But I'm figuring Whirlpool heavy duty models would be fine, too. Best bet is if you can find some young guy or couple who didn't have kids, bought a house and decided to sell the w/d that came with the house (new of course) because they wanted to "upgrade". Check Craiglist in your area, you might see a pair like that.

Reply to
Seerialmom

Of older models I would pick the Maytag, It has the fewer moving parts than any I know of. Primarily its operation is based on its reversable motor. Motor turns one direction it washes, motor turns oposite direction it spins dry. No solenoids or gear shifts, just a motor and drive shaft..I had a 1950 model that washed weekly for 41 years before it gave any trouble. Hard to beat that.

Reply to
Jack

41 years!!! Did you enter it into any sweepstakes like "the oldest appliance still running" where you get a whole new kitchen or sumpin? :)
Reply to
Seerialmom

Have always had great luck with Kenmore. If all Whirlpool products are anything like out dishwasher, I wouldn't touch anything that says Whirlpool again! Pure junk!!!

Reply to
C. Massey

Who manufactures Kenmore? Last I knew it was Whirlpool. Now Whirlpool makes the Maytag.in Mexico.

Reply to
Jack

No because I knew of some Maytags still going that were older. Heck today I toast my bread in a two slice ToastMaster that was put in service in May of 1941 and has toasted an average of two slices practically everyday since. How many loaves is that? It still looks new and does a perfect job. But there are older out there.

Reply to
Jack

I checked the forums at two appliance websites,

and
(tons of repair information at both), and they seem to speak well of the top-loading Whirlpools with conventional agitators (both belt and direct drive versions) and no electronic controls. Whirlpool has been sold under several brands, including Roper, Kitchenaid, Estate, Kenmore (Sears, but not all Kenmores are Whirlpools), and Kirkland (Costco). The direct-drive models seem to be easier to work on because the whole cabinet comes off sort of easily..

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

They are *one* of the manufactures for Kenmore. When I worked for Sears a couple of years back, they had several manufactures make the Kenmores.

Reply to
C. Massey

The old GE top loaders have the best lint filter. For what it's worth, I have an older Maytag and a direct drive Whirlpool. They both work well, however the Whirlpool makes the clothes cleaner. Very noticeable on whites. But it has a crappy lint filter that's between the inner and outer tub. Wonder what genius thought that one up? Have to remove the agitator and inner tub to clean it:(

Al

Reply to
Big Al

What do they charge?

You can buy a bare bones new whirlpool for $179 at Lowes, it only has one knob and maybe 4 cycles, simple as dirt.

Private owners usually sell used ones for $50.

Hard to say what brands are the best, many manufacturers were bought out, so roper is whirlpool, admiral and maytag are the same, etc

Reply to
bungalow_steve

I have GE Heavy duty top loader washer thats been running 33 years. I repaired the timer once, replaced the pump once, and repired a split hose once. It uses the reversing motor design mentioned above.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

you might be able to find a stripped Roper made for landlords new cheap enuf to beat the used ones you are looking at. Noisy and low on features but go forever.

Reply to
Art

Get a Speed Queen commercial washer if you want the toughest of the tough. I bought some used ones and they went for about ten more years after the initial 23 years prior to my purchase of them. Extremely east to maintain, but they will rarely break under home use.

Simple to a fault. Three switches, one for Hot/Warm/Cold water, one for Normal/Permanent Press/Delicate, and one Push-On. No timer dial.

"

" Often available used from industrial and military sources, though they often sell them in lots.

I'd look at CraigsList.org for used home machines. Usually they sell for around $50-75 for a good Whirlpool model.

Reply to
SMS

My GE purchased to do my diapers died about age 40:( motor developed a internal short I couldnt get motor and felt bad when garbageman took it away. my hamilton gas dryer was older than that it was bought at the beginging of the second world war and died around 1995.

my 1990 dodge caravan got retired recently with about 400,000 miles on it.

such things are possible but unusual in todays throiw away society

Reply to
hallerb

I'll have to get me one of those new-fangled toasters one day. At my age, I'm losing the manual dexterity to flip the toast slices over to get both sides done.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

In news:JKa0h.296$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net, Doc spewed forth:

When mine broke down, I called my repairman friend and he told me to buy Roper. He said they run forever.

Reply to
ChairMan

I am afraid to say this, but I have never heard of a lint filter on a washing machine!

I have a Kenmore that is 19 years old (did have to replace motor 5 years ago). Anyway, in my defense, the couple of times a repairman came, I watched and asked questions. Once was a Sears promotional "check up" where they checked it over. I watched him and asked qestions. He never said anything about a lint filter or cleaned one.

Do all washers have these? From your description it seems maybe this isn't necessarilly set up like a dryer (where it is obviously set up for user), but maybe more for servicing (i.e. you have to remove something to get to it)? Where should I look and what would it look like?

-- John

Reply to
John Ross