What kind of weed

I have this weed that I cannot get rid of. It is surrounding my sweet basil, radishes and zucchini. I am hesitant of using a weed killer. If I knew what it is, I could Google it and get some specific advice. Here is its URL:
http://tinyurl.com/nh8b9u
All comments appreciated.
Norm

Check out this site:
http://weedid.aces.uiuc.edu /

Thats Purslane. Its edible.
http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H186.htm
and its even mucilaginous according to that link :-)

Is this it:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/purslane.html

Use Round-up. You can use a sprayer with a very fine spray pattern or you can even use a small paint brush to apply it to individual plants. Round-up is absorbed through the leaves and will not harm plants that are nearby if you do not get the spray on them.
Charlie

I have weeds around my radishes and zuchinni, etc. I hand-pull weeds close to the stem, then hoe the rest. For a 20x20 garden it takes me about an hour each month. I dislike using herbicides in a vegetable garden. You can mulch around plants with compost, controls weeds, helps retain water and provides some nutrients. The squash plants grow fast and will shade the ground.

We have a local free newspaper that people sell "stuff" in. They change them every Thursday. I go around Wednesdays and raid the stands. They'd probably give them to me if I called the paper, and go to their main office. They work great for mulch and weed control, and till into the soil the next year. Easy to lay out around new plants. Then spray, and toss some dirt on top. Absolutely nothing can grow through one of these if you just unfold it one time, leaving the mass about ten sheets thick.
Werks for me.
Steve

A weed is a plant you dont like. Tape a sponge on a stick and dip in roundup and hit plant, or do it the normal way, pull the dam thing.
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 04:04:21 -0700 (PDT), ransley

roundup is FAR more effective then pulling it, as roundup kills the roots to keep it from returning.
on 6/10/2009 3:53 PM (ET) NSN wrote the following:

Looks like Purslane ( Portulaca oleracea) aka Pigweed. If so, you can add it to salads.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Thanks to all who answered my question. Looks like I have a problem plant. I will pull them as they grow. After the veggies are harvested will try one of the chemical herbicides and see how effective it is.
Norm

I have that same stuff in my garden..I just pull it up carefully and since my garden soil is rather "loose", most of the root usually comes with it. No matter what it is, using a weed killer amongst your veggies probably isnt a good idea. Depending on how many individual "plants" there are, you "might" try carefully "painting" them with weed killer to see if it will go down and kill the root(s).

Purslane is pretty good pickled.
Google "Euell Gibbons crock" for a simple recipe. If you've got the room in your fridge, you can make it in a gallon glass jar and you don't have to process it. Just serve right out of the big jar.
Cindy Hamilton