What is this thing for?

This is a tool left in the garage by the previous owner. Any idea what this is for?

I can call the previous owner and find out, but at this point, I am curious and wanted to solve it myself, with your help.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Probably used to pull the turkey support out of a big turkey fryer? Can't tell how big it is by the photo, but if it is between 8-12" overall length, it would make sense.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

A hook to pull the cap off your septic tank? (I was going to say something tasteless about pregnancies, but thought better of it).

Reply to
Eigenvector

about 24" total length. There is no fryer in the kitchen. Only stove top, oven and indoor BBQ grill.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

It could be 5th wheel puller. Did the previous owner have a 5th wheel trailer? -----

gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Bigger than what I was thinking. A turkey fryer is a stand-alone outdoor cooker, portable and if they owned one, they probably took it with them.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Actually, it looks like a piece of traction equipment from a hospital.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Its stainless steel. No scars or pitting from rough heavy use or chemicals. A hand tool to lift no more than 50 pounds or so. Looks like something from a commercial food preparation equipment.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Oh wonderful- now I am gonna go crazy all weekend trying to figure it out. :^/

Do you happen to know what previous owner did for a living? That may be a clue.

I was gonna say retrieval handle for some sort of submersible pump, but they wouldn't use stainless for that. Maybe a tool to pull tires out of a rack, like out back at a tire store? Shove the hook between the tires, and rotate to catch the bead?

You will post the answer when you find it, right? IIRC, somebody in an old thread had a link to a weird tool website with pictures of mystery tools, but I didn't keep the link.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

For dragging bodies out of car trunks without messing up his hands. Be nice to the previous owner and don&#39;t ask too many questions.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

LOL

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Hanger for a hammock? The triangle end isn&#39;t likely to be a "handle", or it wouldn&#39;t have the straight piece up the center. Looks like something that could have had straps fastened on that end.

Something you would use to hang game to clean it?

Fasten a long rubber band to junior&#39;s trike and hook it to the mailbox so he can&#39;t get lost?

I dunno.

Reply to
Norminn

Previous owner was an engineer. But he retired 30 years ago. That tool was not sitting on a shelf, it was "hooked" onto a crank arm of a awning window, and dangling there.

Np septic tank, well not now anyways, it is on city sewer.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Reply to
Art Todesco

It looks like the hooks used in the warehouse for moving a stack of milk crates. They always hang them for better visualization.

Reply to
betsyb

It&#39;s called a bull hook. You tie a rope to the round handle. You shove the hook up a bull&#39;s ass, and he&#39;ll follow you anywhere, but has to walk backwards. This is the first chromed one I have seen.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

I have personally used a device similar to this. Milk delivery people use such a hook. Allows you to pull a stack of milk crates which are on a small wheeled dolly. You can&#39;t push the milk, or it will fall over.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon