What is this thing for?

This is a tool left in the garage by the previous owner. Any idea what this is for?
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w67/143house/garage/P1000578.jpg
I can call the previous owner and find out, but at this point, I am curious and wanted to solve it myself, with your help.
MC

Probably used to pull the turkey support out of a big turkey fryer? Can't tell how big it is by the photo, but if it is between 8-12" overall length, it would make sense.
JK

about 24" total length. There is no fryer in the kitchen. Only stove top, oven and indoor BBQ grill.
MC

Bigger than what I was thinking. A turkey fryer is a stand-alone outdoor cooker, portable and if they owned one, they probably took it with them.
JK

(I was going to say something tasteless about pregnancies, but thought better of it).

It could be 5th wheel puller. Did the previous owner have a 5th wheel trailer? -----
gpsman

It's called a bull hook. You tie a rope to the round handle. You shove the hook up a bull's ass, and he'll follow you anywhere, but has to walk backwards. This is the first chromed one I have seen.
Steve ;-)
Actually, it looks like a piece of traction equipment from a hospital.
--
Steve Barker

"MiamiCuse" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 23:51:45 -0600, "Steve Barker"

Its stainless steel. No scars or pitting from rough heavy use or chemicals. A hand tool to lift no more than 50 pounds or so. Looks like something from a commercial food preparation equipment.

:^/
Do you happen to know what previous owner did for a living? That may be a clue.
I was gonna say retrieval handle for some sort of submersible pump, but they wouldn't use stainless for that. Maybe a tool to pull tires out of a rack, like out back at a tire store? Shove the hook between the tires, and rotate to catch the bead?
You will post the answer when you find it, right? IIRC, somebody in an old thread had a link to a weird tool website with pictures of mystery tools, but I didn't keep the link.
aem sends...

Previous owner was an engineer. But he retired 30 years ago. That tool was not sitting on a shelf, it was "hooked" onto a crank arm of a awning window, and dangling there.
Np septic tank, well not now anyways, it is on city sewer.
MC
Looks like a kind of pallet hook, although it might be somewhat small. If it was hooked near an adjustable awning, it could have been used to adjust said awning .... maybe not the exactly right tool, but one that was substituted ..... just a guess.
MiamiCuse wrote:

It looks like the hooks used in the warehouse for moving a stack of milk crates. They always hang them for better visualization.
--
Save the earth. It\'s the only planet with chocolate and Starbucks!!
BetsyB

For dragging bodies out of car trunks without messing up his hands. Be nice to the previous owner and don't ask too many questions.

LOL
MiamiCuse wrote:

or it wouldn't have the straight piece up the center. Looks like something that could have had straps fastened on that end.
Something you would use to hang game to clean it?
Fasten a long rubber band to junior's trike and hook it to the mailbox so he can't get lost?
I dunno.
I have personally used a device similar to this. Milk delivery people use such a hook. Allows you to pull a stack of milk crates which are on a small wheeled dolly. You can't push the milk, or it will fall over.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.