[SOLVED] What is this discoloration in toilet?

Frank wrote:

Vinegar is amazing with mineral build-up, but you have to let it soak for quite a while - several hours to a couple days. What I would recommend is if you are going away for a weekend or otherwise traveling for a few days, turn the water supply off on the toilet, flush it until you have little-to-no water left in the bowl, pour in a few cups of vinegar, close the bathroom door and leave.

When you come home, use the toilet bowl brush to dislodge any stubborn bits of mineral, turn on the water and flush. You should get rid of most, if not all, of the mineral build-up. If there's anything left, try one of the milder cleansers such as Bon Ami...I would stay away from the chemical cleansers at first, just because I'm not sure how they'd react with the vinegar (which is basically acetic acid) and what fumes might be created. After a couple flushes you might be OK to use the chemical cleaners.

I did this recently with my shower head, which had a TERRIBLE calcium build-up, and the vinegar worked like a dream.

Reply to
Kyle
*150 GRIT sandpaper! Works everytime!!*
Reply to
Buffalo Bob

After ten years, the toilet is filled solid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

replying to zcarenow, Nick wrote: It is a scale build up from urine and is very hard. You can scrape it off with a flat screw driver or any sharp object you can get in to scrape it off

Reply to
Nick

Oren posted for all of us...

I would think a Snap-On large pry-bar would be the solution. Much wider blade. Get one with a striking head...

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to zcarenow, serendipity wrote: Had same - disgusting brown gunk all over bottom of bowl. Tried absolutly everything for a year. Then tried new/old product Domestios Zero from supermarket. Left it for a few hours - a brilliant result - brown gunk had peeled off. Have used on all bathroom items since, with excellent results.

Reply to
serendipity

replying to zcarenow, Nick wrote: Hello Muriatic acid is very toxic for you............. After the usage, it will end up in the environment, it will not vanish.So vinegar and baking soda works also; but you need to emptied as much as possible the toilet and scrub with green scrubbing pad

Reply to
Nick

replying to zcarenow, Nick wrote: Hello Muriatic acid is very toxic for you............. After the usage, it will end up in the environment, it will not vanish.So vinegar and baking soda works also; but you need to emptied as much as possible the toilet and scrub with green scrubbing pad

Reply to
Nick

Muriatic acid is tough on skin and the fumes will burn your lungs but in the environment it disappears pretty quickly. It will react with the calcium or other metals in the soil and become salts. Certainly a rail car full would be a problem but a cup of it disappears pretty fast. I use it by the gallon in my pool.

Reply to
gfretwell

replying to zcarenow, MJG wrote: Had this problem, it's urine sediment build up. In my case had a pee, forgot to flush as I was leaving to go on holiday, doh! Tried everything then came across Calsolve toilet descaler, about £15 on amazon. Fantastic, really works. Follow instructions including hot water. Sorted!

Reply to
MJG

Vinegar may not be strong enough. Use phosphoric acid. Muriatic acid is likely to etch the porcelain.

Reply to
edsamson60062

replying to hallerb, Steve-O-Rino wrote: I've thought the same. But the more I think about it, it 'snot the 'safety hype'. It's the lawyers who have everybody afraid they'll get sued for suggesting something where someone gets hurt. "He told me I should do it!"

Reply to
Steve-O-Rino

replying to zcarenow, tom cassidy wrote: if you go to a chemist shop buy a bottle of caustic soada granuals put 2or 3 table spoons down the loo last thing at night or when it will be least used leave over night flush well in the morn prob will be solved. gnteed.also very good to unblock drains.

Reply to
tom cassidy

replying to zcarenow, Prairie Girl wrote: Try full strength bleach poured into the water and left for several hours (or overnight). Weekly cleaning followed by a splash of bleach in the water, and you won?t see this again!

Reply to
Prairie Girl

On Thu 25 Oct 2018 05:14:02a, Prairie Girl told us...

We had two brand new toilets tht quickly began a discoloration at the water line in the bowl. We tried leaviang bleach in overnight but it didn't work for us initially. To finally get rid of it we used a commercial acid-based toilet cleaner that completely eradicated it. Now we drop in a cholorine tablet into the tank once a month and the stain has never occured again.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Hydrochloric acid works for me. I agree, if it's mineral deposits that accumulate at the water line, bleach won't work.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to mm, Joseph Durand wrote: Actually muriatic acid is made from hydrochloric . Muriatic is a more diluted form , used to clean inground swimming pool tile. Sold in swimming pool supply stores.

Reply to
Joseph Durand

Actually, they are the same thing. Hydrochloric, muriatic, Salzsäure, all the same same.

Reply to
rbowman

Joseph Durand <caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85 snipped-for-privacy@example.com wrote

Nope, muriatic is just the old name for hydrochloric.

Wrong.

Used for a lot more than just that.

And in general hardware stores.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And I'd buy it at HD, likely cheaper than at a pool store. People use it to adjust the PH of pools, I guess you could clean the tiles with it too.

Reply to
trader_4