What is the name wire wielded together in a diamond pattern......Looking to make a Wood Pellet Box

I'm trying to find an item for a project but I don't know the name of it. It is a heavy gauge "wire"' wielded together to form a diamond pattern.

Reply to
Bpeeb

Expanded metal?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

buy rebar and have it welded together

Reply to
bob haller

Perhaps this is what you're looking for:

Any sheet metal shop should have what you need. I had a fellow who would give me scraps out of his pile for small projects. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes, but I wonder if it is heavy enough for a fireplace grate? I have seen some heavy enough to be used for open stair treads in ski areas, but I'm not sure if even that would stand up to a really hot fire without warping.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Specially grate fine enough to contain wood pellets.

All the pellet fireboxes I've seen are small and solid plate, jes a few inches square.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Or expanded mesh.

As the name alludes, it's not welded, but rather punched from sheet (by punching slits) then stretched.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It'll warp. But it may hold good for a while. I've used this stuff for BBQs and it is OK for occasional use, but long term really needs something heavy or cast iron.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Good excuse to buy a MIG welder - think of all the other fun you can have :)

BTW - MIG welding is pretty simple and can be self taught with a bit of common sense and practise. In 1 day I was doing both "heavy" pieces and 1mm sheet for car repairs.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I wonder if one of these might be what the OP is looking for? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote the following on 12/28/2012 10:48 PM (ET):

Here, pick the one you like best. :-)

willshak

What I'm thinking of, is not wire, but punched out metal, which is about

1/8" thick. Dont know the name of it, but a welding/machine shop should have it.
Reply to
homeowner

Diamond plate?

Reply to
krw

krw

McNichols is the best source for any kind of perforated, expanded, pierced or mesh material.

If they don't have what the OP needs,likely no one will.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK