What is the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 class 10 micro SDHC memory cards

I want to buy a 32GB memory card for my new Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and I see "Type 1 class 10" and "Type 2 class 10".

Googling, I see they use the word "type" for card types such as compact flash and SD, etc., but no good explanation of the difference between card types at any one class.

Also, I have never seen a 5.3 volt USB charger, but the OEM charger seems to be 5.3VDC and 2.0 Amps.

Must I get a car charger that is 5.3 volts? (That's going to be hard to find.)

Reply to
Elechi Amadi

the class is the speed. don't worry about the type.

usb must be 5v +- 0.25v, or 4.75-5.25v, which means the oem charger is not usb compliant.

they probably did that to reduce charge time but that's a really *bad* way to do it.

what really matters is the amperage, and that's 2a. there are many 2a chargers.

Reply to
nospam

Here's a picture of the OEM EP-TA10JWS charger, showing the 5.3 volts!

What I'm worried about is that I can't find a car adapter that is 5.3 volts and 2.0 amps or more.

Reply to
Elechi Amadi

Actually, that's the wrong picture. Here's the right picture showing 5.3 volts at 2.0 amps output.

Elechi Amadi

The move to USB 3.0 only affects charge rates connected to a PC.

2.x is limited to 500mA while 3.x is 900mA I think.

Both standards use 5V, but 2A AC chargers often run a bit higher at 5.3V. The chargers don't directly adhere to either USB spec and basically trigger fast charge the same as before, by shorting out or putting a fixed resistance between the data pins.

My old HP TouchPad USB 5.3V/2A charger with 2.0 cord charges my Note 3 just as fast as the Samsung 5.3V/2A adapter with USB 3.0 cord does.

If you look closely, you'll notice that the "USB 3.0" Samsung charger doesn't actually have the extra 3.0 pins, it uses a 2.0 port. That's because for pure charging devices the standard doesn't matter, only the current and voltage rating and that it shorts the data pins.

Reply to
Helmer Bengtsson

As for the title question, I never myself could figure out the difference. If you know, tell me because it makes no sense class 1 or class 2 except from a driver perspective.

Reply to
Helmer Bengtsson

? Input: 100-240V ~ 50-60Hz, 0.35A / Output: 5.0V=== 2.0A

from the comments, there seems to be more than one version

don't worry about it. it doesn't matter.

5.3v is noncompliant.

all adapters will be 5v (or sometimes 5.1v). it makes no difference.

Reply to
nospam

I had referenced the wrong charger. The OEM charger for the Note III is 5.3 volts, 2.0 Amps.

I can't find a 5.3 volt adapter for the car.

Reply to
Elechi Amadi

I think the class is speed: for general storage purposes it doesn't matter, but for e. g. storing (or rather, recording and playing back - storing alone is OK of course) video, you need above a certain class.

The _type_ I _think_ may refer to an older format change that is also sometimes referred to as HD - high density - in the case of SD cards: some older equipment can't use cards that are HD. Non-HD cards go are mostly up to 2G in size, though a few 4G are available; I don't think you can find HD ones below 4G. But I could be wrong in thinking types I and II are the same as non-HD and HD.

I doubt it. Does your 'phone show "charging" when connected to a friend's charger that doesn't say 5.3? Does it charge when connected to a PC? You could always try anyway - they're cheap enough, if you can't borrow one.

Reply to
J. P. Gilliver (John)

originally, but the battery charging spec allows for more current.

no they don't.

5.3v is outside the usb spec.

then it's not compliant in more ways than one.

it's supposed to negotiate the power over the data pins.

Reply to
nospam

it doesn't matter

Reply to
nospam

it is not compliant with the usb spec.

don't use it with anything other than a note iii and any other samsung product that it lists it will work with.

you won't and it makes no difference anyway.

Reply to
nospam

You don't want one, it could fry some other device you plug into it, just get a 5.0V 2.0A one and you'll be ok.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That shows 5.0V/2.0A both in the pic and in the text

Reply to
tumppiw

Duhhhh... and here's a picture showing a charger with *exactly* the same product code (EP-TA10JWS) with the correct voltage (5.0v) in the product label and text of the web page.

Looks like there's a *mistake* in the wirelessground.com web page, it should say 5.0v not 5.3v. So a 5.0v car charger would be the right choice for you.

... got the picture yet?

Reply to
nemo

I can read it as 5.3 volts printed right on my charger! So the only mistake is in the Amazon photos.

Reply to
Elechi Amadi

I charges when plugged into a thin micro USB 2.0 port but if I use the phone, it goes down in battery even while plugged in.

So I think it needs the bigger fatter USB blue port.

Reply to
Elechi Amadi

Samsung themselves, say it's 5.3 volts.

Plus I can read 5.3 volts printed on the charger.

Also Amazon shows it at 5.3 volts:

As does Wireless Ground:

Whatever XDA is, they show it at 5.3 volts also:

Elechi Amadi

Hi, It is not that super critical. As long as charger is good quality. Also if you get wrong micro SD card, it won't work well. For example too fast one some times gives trouble. Follow the manual. Get a brand name like Samsung, Lexar....

Reply to
Tony Hwang

As others have said, it's not compliant with the USB charging spec, but it's also only higher by a very slight amount, which should not matter. The USB spec is for 4.75 to 5.25. Samsung is at 5.3. That could just be someone writing the spec, rounding up and maybe the device itself is compliant if you measured it.

In any case, any USB 2.0 charger will work.

Reply to
trader_4