What is the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 class 10 micro SDHC memory cards

Page 1 of 2
I want to buy a 32GB memory card for my new Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and I see "Type 1 class 10" and "Type 2 class 10".
Googling, I see they use the word "type" for card types such as compact flash and SD, etc., but no good explanation of the difference between card types at any one class.
Also, I have never seen a 5.3 volt USB charger, but the OEM charger seems to be 5.3VDC and 2.0 Amps.
Must I get a car charger that is 5.3 volts? (That's going to be hard to find.)
In article

the class is the speed. don't worry about the type.

usb must be 5v +- 0.25v, or 4.75-5.25v, which means the oem charger is not usb compliant.
they probably did that to reduce charge time but that's a really *bad* way to do it.
what really matters is the amperage, and that's 2a. there are many 2a chargers.
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 01:26:35 -0400, nospam wrote:

Here's a picture of the OEM EP-TA10JWS charger, showing the 5.3 volts! (Amazon.com product link shortened)
What I'm worried about is that I can't find a car adapter that is 5.3 volts and 2.0 amps or more.
13.8.2014, 8:53, Elechi Amadi kirjoitti:

That shows 5.0V/2.0A both in the pic and in the text

Thomas Wendell
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 00:53:38 -0500, Elechi Amadi wrote:

Actually, that's the wrong picture. Here's the right picture showing 5.3 volts at 2.0 amps output. http://www.wirelessground.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3-travel-charger-2-amp.html
On 13/08/2014 06:55, Elechi Amadi wrote:

Duhhhh... and here's a picture showing a charger with *exactly* the same product code (EP-TA10JWS) with the correct voltage (5.0v) in the product label and text of the web page. <(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
Looks like there's a *mistake* in the wirelessground.com web page, it should say 5.0v not 5.3v. So a 5.0v car charger would be the right choice for you.
... got the picture yet?
The move to USB 3.0 only affects charge rates connected to a PC.
2.x is limited to 500mA while 3.x is 900mA I think.
Both standards use 5V, but 2A AC chargers often run a bit higher at 5.3V. The chargers don't directly adhere to either USB spec and basically trigger fast charge the same as before, by shorting out or putting a fixed resistance between the data pins.
My old HP TouchPad USB 5.3V/2A charger with 2.0 cord charges my Note 3 just as fast as the Samsung 5.3V/2A adapter with USB 3.0 cord does.
If you look closely, you'll notice that the "USB 3.0" Samsung charger doesn't actually have the extra 3.0 pins, it uses a 2.0 port. That's because for pure charging devices the standard doesn't matter, only the current and voltage rating and that it shorts the data pins.
As for the title question, I never myself could figure out the difference. If you know, tell me because it makes no sense class 1 or class 2 except from a driver perspective.

It'll be fine.
The USB spec goes up to 5.25V. The extra 50mV won't fry anything.
In fact, the device probably won't even see it. If you're drawing 2A, you'd lose 50mV by a 25milliohm resistance in the cable. Given that USB cables contain hair-thicknesses of copper these days, that's not unlikely. I've seen cables with 1 ohm resistance. In fact, to get a resistance as low as 25mohm you'd need about 0.75mm^2 of copper - that's roughly the thickness of the cable that powers your desktop PC.
A lower current draw will have less voltage drop, but any way you look at it what the device sees will be in spec. And the device would cope just fine with 5.3V straight, the DC-DC converter will have a much bigger margin.
Theo
Theo Markettos wrote:

The nominal 5.3V is already out of spec, who knows what the tolerance is on it, +/- 5% perhaps, so now it could be 300mV over, then someone charges an unprotected e-cigarette from it and ...
<http://google.co.uk/search?q=usb+cigarette+fire
Andy Burns wrote:

Or rounded to one decimal place.
-- chris
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 06:03:03 +0000 (UTC), Helmer Bengtsson

5.3V.

For anyone that is interested please see:
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/
All the USB standards are there.
?-)
In article

€ Input: 100-240V ~ 50-60Hz, 0.35A / Output: 5.0V=== 2.0A
from the comments, there seems to be more than one version

don't worry about it. it doesn't matter.
5.3v is noncompliant.
all adapters will be 5v (or sometimes 5.1v). it makes no difference.
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 02:05:31 -0400, nospam wrote:

I had referenced the wrong charger. The OEM charger for the Note III is 5.3 volts, 2.0 Amps. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t%04456
I can't find a 5.3 volt adapter for the car.
Elechi Amadi wrote:

You don't want one, it could fry some other device you plug into it, just get a 5.0V 2.0A one and you'll be ok.
Elechi Amadi wrote:

Hi, It is not that super critical. As long as charger is good quality. Also if you get wrong micro SD card, it won't work well. For example too fast one some times gives trouble. Follow the manual. Get a brand name like Samsung, Lexar....
In message

I think the class is speed: for general storage purposes it doesn't matter, but for e. g. storing (or rather, recording and playing back - storing alone is OK of course) video, you need above a certain class.
The _type_ I _think_ may refer to an older format change that is also sometimes referred to as HD - high density - in the case of SD cards: some older equipment can't use cards that are HD. Non-HD cards go are mostly up to 2G in size, though a few 4G are available; I don't think you can find HD ones below 4G. But I could be wrong in thinking types I and II are the same as non-HD and HD.

I doubt it. Does your 'phone show "charging" when connected to a friend's charger that doesn't say 5.3? Does it charge when connected to a PC? You could always try anyway - they're cheap enough, if you can't borrow one.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

originally, but the battery charging spec allows for more current.

no they don't.
5.3v is outside the usb spec.

then it's not compliant in more ways than one.
it's supposed to negotiate the power over the data pins.

it doesn't matter
In article

it is not compliant with the usb spec.
don't use it with anything other than a note iii and any other samsung product that it lists it will work with.

you won't and it makes no difference anyway.